Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

Painting c1915 Porch

I have an old house and am in process of sanding the wood porch boards, I'm guessing they are douglas fir, but not positive. In any case, I bought two gallons of porch and floor paint from Sherwin Williams. The salesman said it didn't need a primer, but I'm not sure I buy into this. I am in process of painting my house as well, so I have a gallon or two of oil primer laying around, it's also Sherwin Williams, should I apply a coat of that prior to the paint or not?

Thanks!

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

Painting c1915 Porch

I would you already have it so it won't cost anything and it will give piece of mind. It will soak into the wood and help seal it.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

Painting c1915 Porch

No, do not prime. You probably already have paint on the deck of the porch, just make sure that the paint you are applying is the same type, oil or latex. The process, after sanding and cleaning up the dust created from sanding, is to thin the first coat so that it will soak into the bare wood and stick to the scuffed areas on the existing paint. Follow this with a full stength coat for subsequent coats, 1 or 2 should be sufficent.
paintedfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Painting c1915 Porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfx View Post
No, do not prime. You probably already have paint on the deck of the porch, just make sure that the paint you are applying is the same type, oil or latex. The process, after sanding and cleaning up the dust created from sanding, is to thin the first coat so that it will soak into the bare wood and stick to the scuffed areas on the existing paint. Follow this with a full stength coat for subsequent coats, 1 or 2 should be sufficent.
Actually, 75% of the old paint is peeling so badly that I'm sanding it pretty much down to bare wood. There are and will be little spots of what I presume is old lead based paint left over, but those spots are pretty soaked into the wood.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

Painting c1915 Porch

Listen to ToolSeeker. Wood that old and peeling that badly needs a slow drying oil primer to soak into the wood and give some bite to the topcoats. If you simply apply 2 coats of paint, you will end up with "dead" spots where those topcoats soaked into the old, dry wood.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (09-03-2013), ToolSeeker (09-03-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

Painting c1915 Porch

My logic also says pre prime and I did do 3' wide strip.... but the can doesn't give time between prime coat and being able to use the acrylic porch paint so I called the store and asked. He was very addiment that I shouldn't pre prime and said the paint would adhere better without the primer, that is the findings on tests. He recommend scuffing the dry primer to open back up the pores.

So with that I am asking again. ... what to do? Still prime? Prime then scuff? ....or just forget the extra step and possibly and off the primer I just put down?

I should also mention the primer I used was their quick dry. I just realized the replies said a slow dry! For some reason I have two gallons of this quick dry, but I do have a can of a slower drying primer as well! They are all oil.