Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Painting A/C Fan Grill

The paint on the fan grill for my A/C unit has chipped and rusted and I was looking to repaint it and would like your suggestions on how to properly prep and paint.

I pulled off the grill this weekend and scrubbed it down in preparation for paint. I plan to sand down the areas that are rusted and remove any additional loose paint (using the small sanding wheels that fit on my Dremel). Most of the rust is in the central area, but there is also some starting to show around the outer portion of the grill. The fan grill is about 2 feet in diameter.

I was wondering what you would suggest to use to re-paint after I remove the rust and flaking paint. The existing paint (original from the manufacturer) on the unit is THICK. It almost seems like the grill was dipped in a thick paint or something. It also seems somewhat flexible - like a latex.

I would like to be sure I prep and paint this properly - I don't want to have it rusting again and have to repaint it next year. I was planning to spray the areas I sand down with rust-inhibiting primer (i.e. Rustoleum rusty-metal primer) and then using another Rustoleum spray paint to finish it.

However, I have some concerns that the vibrations from the fan motor, and the general flexible nature of the thin fan grill wires will cause the spray paint to flake off.

Would you recommend I use a spray-paint on this, or go with something else, like painting-on a outdoor household latex?

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

Thanks
- Fritz.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting A/C Fan Grill-fangrill.jpg  

fritzycat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Painting A/C Fan Grill

you may get a lot of answers to what products, do to we all have favorites , but here is what I use when I need to deal with rust. Look at the right side of page on products,

At the bottom of the column take note on treatment for rust prier to finish painting.......http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...ct_id=21&SBL=1....

This way you can get the right product for prep, and painting,

LouLewyLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Painting A/C Fan Grill

You are on the right track. The vibrations from the fan should not effect the adhesion of the Rustoleum spray paint.
chowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,028

Painting A/C Fan Grill

I would use Rustoleum as well.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote