Painting On Builder's Paint/primer In New Condo - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting on Builder's paint/primer in new condo

Hi Everyone,

I need your expert recommendation as i am a total newbie. Here is the situation:

We are moving into a new condo that has never been lived in, though there are some small pencil marks in the entrance area that can probably be removed by an eraser. The paint (or maybe it is just primer) is the builder's white.

Here is what we want to do: Repaint with a new light color, say beige FLAT (or MATT) type color in the living room and bedroom, and perhaps kitchen too. We will have dark brown furniture, and the wood in the kitchen is also dark bown. The batroom is another thing, but i will deal with it in another topic once we get to that stage, as i am guessing the paint/primer would have to be different.

So, the question is, in your experience, do you believe i need a gray primer for using a sort of white / beige color on top of the builder's white or primer (i cant tell if it is primer or just paint)? I was originally thinking no, but now i am not sure. I was about to buy Behr Premium Ultra paints not to resolve the primer issue specifically, but just to be on the safer side. Pls treat the type of paint i am using seperately from the primer subjet. If you have a recomendation on the brand of paint, pls be specific in giving the type you recommend as well, so i can rechearch it and find the specific type in the store. I know i have to use Mat (Flat), and i am going to guess pll are going to recommend against the 2 in one paint (paint and primer in one) as it is not really the same strength as primer first, then paint, but my case is perhaps a bit different.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

You should be ok to paint over top of what's ther, using two coats of a quality paint and the key is to use a quality paint, usually a new construction condo, town house, and modular homes are just primed and top coated with an off white

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Thank you. What paint manufacturer and model do you recommend as a "high quality"?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfarsh View Post
Thank you. What paint manufacturer and model do you recommend as a "high quality"?
If it was me, I would use Sherwin Williams Interior Duration, as it can be used in every room in the house, including kitchen and bath, it is also highly scrubable, burnish resistant and has stain blocking properties.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #5

Thank you again. I have hurd that Serwin Williams fades away after a while. I was thinking maybe going with Benjamin Moore instead, as the other top rated company (i think), what do you think? Should i be looking at the Aura Interior Products (not sure if this is high quality), and can i also use this for the bath and kitchen as the Sherwin Williams (honeystly, when you mentioned every room in the house, it made me excited to know i could do that)?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Aura is probably the best there is available and can be used throughout the home, interior and exterior.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfarsh View Post
Thank you again. I have hurd that Serwin Williams fades away after a while. ?

Z,
I have been using Sherwin Williams products for 35 years now and have never noticed any interior fading. You will probably get tired of the color and change it before the paint poses any problems. I like SW's promar 200 series, meant for contractors, available in a low sheen eggshell. You can wash this and touch up if necessary without painting the entire wall.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Z,
I have been using Sherwin Williams products for 35 years now and have never noticed any interior fading. You will probably get tired of the color and change it before the paint poses any problems. I like SW's promar 200 series, meant for contractors, available in a low sheen eggshell. You can wash this and touch up if necessary without painting the entire wall.
Mike Hawkins
We too use SW on a regular and never have any problems or fading with it, promar is good too, its funny because people don't realize that when Ben Moore comes out with a product SW has already came out with it first, SW is a leader in the coatings industry and has been around a lot longer than BM products, the only product I will warranty when doing a painting project is SW. We use 100s to 10004 a year with no problem
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #9

Hi, thank you for the replies, it is greatly appreciated. I had thoughed i read that BM was better than SW, but not so sure anymore (although one of you mentioned the BM Aura is the best), so i will probably give SW a visit this week and see what kind of service i get. That said, you guys mentioned two models, the Interior Duration and the Promar 200 series. Being a total newbster, which should i go for, this is my first time ever painting, and i have no idea what the differences are. I know i need a mat and high quality color. Does low sheen eggshell mean matt (flat) color, considering that i will leave the doors and trims and walls alone for the moment as i am guessing it should be ok to do so (unless you guys recommend highly against it due to bad builder quality paint, and expected fast wear and tare)? I would be first painting the bedrooms, living room, and maybe kitchen. Once that is done, i can tackle the washrooms.

Finally, i should probably have a separate thread for this, but is there any sites i can see how taping is done, and techniques used in case i want to keep the tape on the whole time that i am painting, and only remove it when i have finished the whole room? The guy at Home Depot said not to do so, but if i do it, then use an exacto/knife on the tape, and i wasnt sure exactly how or where. Maybe any website with videos showing good practices if at all available. Thanks again.

Advertisement

Last edited by zfarsh; 05-24-2010 at 11:42 PM.