DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting on Builder's paint/primer in new condo

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  zfarsh 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I need your expert recommendation as i am a total newbie. Here is the situation:

We are moving into a new condo that has never been lived in, though there are some small pencil marks in the entrance area that can probably be removed by an eraser. The paint (or maybe it is just primer) is the builder's white.

Here is what we want to do: Repaint with a new light color, say beige FLAT (or MATT) type color in the living room and bedroom, and perhaps kitchen too. We will have dark brown furniture, and the wood in the kitchen is also dark bown. The batroom is another thing, but i will deal with it in another topic once we get to that stage, as i am guessing the paint/primer would have to be different.

So, the question is, in your experience, do you believe i need a gray primer for using a sort of white / beige color on top of the builder's white or primer (i cant tell if it is primer or just paint)? I was originally thinking no, but now i am not sure. I was about to buy Behr Premium Ultra paints not to resolve the primer issue specifically, but just to be on the safer side. Pls treat the type of paint i am using seperately from the primer subjet. If you have a recomendation on the brand of paint, pls be specific in giving the type you recommend as well, so i can rechearch it and find the specific type in the store. I know i have to use Mat (Flat), and i am going to guess pll are going to recommend against the 2 in one paint (paint and primer in one) as it is not really the same strength as primer first, then paint, but my case is perhaps a bit different.

Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you again. I have hurd that Serwin Williams fades away after a while. I was thinking maybe going with Benjamin Moore instead, as the other top rated company (i think), what do you think? Should i be looking at the Aura Interior Products (not sure if this is high quality), and can i also use this for the bath and kitchen as the Sherwin Williams (honeystly, when you mentioned every room in the house, it made me excited to know i could do that)?

#7 ·
Thank you again. I have hurd that Serwin Williams fades away after a while. ?

Z,
I have been using Sherwin Williams products for 35 years now and have never noticed any interior fading. You will probably get tired of the color and change it before the paint poses any problems. I like SW's promar 200 series, meant for contractors, available in a low sheen eggshell. You can wash this and touch up if necessary without painting the entire wall.
Mike Hawkins:)

#9 · (Edited)
Hi, thank you for the replies, it is greatly appreciated. I had thoughed i read that BM was better than SW, but not so sure anymore (although one of you mentioned the BM Aura is the best), so i will probably give SW a visit this week and see what kind of service i get. That said, you guys mentioned two models, the Interior Duration and the Promar 200 series. Being a total newbster, which should i go for, this is my first time ever painting, and i have no idea what the differences are. I know i need a mat and high quality color. Does low sheen eggshell mean matt (flat) color, considering that i will leave the doors and trims and walls alone for the moment as i am guessing it should be ok to do so (unless you guys recommend highly against it due to bad builder quality paint, and expected fast wear and tare)? I would be first painting the bedrooms, living room, and maybe kitchen. Once that is done, i can tackle the washrooms.

Finally, i should probably have a separate thread for this, but is there any sites i can see how taping is done, and techniques used in case i want to keep the tape on the whole time that i am painting, and only remove it when i have finished the whole room? The guy at Home Depot said not to do so, but if i do it, then use an exacto/knife on the tape, and i wasnt sure exactly how or where. Maybe any website with videos showing good practices if at all available. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.