Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #1

Share |

Painting a Brownstone in NYC

Hello All,

I own a brownstone in NYC, built in 1886. It has MANY coats of paint on it. My plan is the remove the paint with Peel away 1, which I tested and it got straight down to the brick. I would love to have it repointed but it is out of my budget range. So after removing paint, I plan to power wash, then what? I have read so many different forms of advise. So should I use brick fill, followed by latex primer then top coat? What brands would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

David51st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by David51st View Post
Hello All,

I own a brownstone in NYC, built in 1886. It has MANY coats of paint on it. My plan is the remove the paint with Peel away 1, which I tested and it got straight down to the brick. I would love to have it repointed but it is out of my budget range. So after removing paint, I plan to power wash, then what? I have read so many different forms of advise. So should I use brick fill, followed by latex primer then top coat? What brands would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
You can use any quality 100% acrylic latex, after priming first. Use a masonry primer, such as Sherwin Williams Loxon

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #3

I'm located in the heart of Brownstone land in Brooklyn =) The best thing i would suggest is XIM peel bond primer followed by two coats of Ben Moore Exterior Aura. There are some other good primers our there as well, fresh start, Ben Moore's 066 acrylic masonry primer, etc.. but the peel bond, IMO, is worth the extra 30 bucks a gallon.

Many contractors will also suggest Thorolastic on brownstones. Different look than paint, but it has excellent adhesion and durability and you can get it in whatever color you like. Might pay to look around the nieghborhood and see what other people have done - both products will give their own unique look. Shame you can't have it repointed - nothing like the original brownstone look...

good luck!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #4

Thanks all.

One more question. I have read several post where people say to sand the brick, after power washing. Is this a good idea? and if so would it be a wet sand like a 5 Inch Concrete and Stone Wet Polishing Kit with Diamond Pads or dry, which seems like a ton of dust.
David51st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
You can use any quality 100% acrylic latex, after priming first. Use a masonry primer, such as Sherwin Williams Loxon
Yes, a good masonry primer is designed to expand somewhat when drying to fill some of the voids in the brick/masonry and give superior adhesion. I am not sure if sanding will help or not and you really should check for lead before you do anything. If you follow that advice, some guy 100 years from now will be complaining about all the layers of paint on the house but NOT complaining about it peeling.