Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
typing left handed

Share |

Painting brick advice

Hi,
I am researching for a project, painting over my brick fireplace hearth.
I did some searching in back pages and I have found several posts offering tips to prep, primer and etc, but I am still looking for advice on what it the best medium of roller and/or brush to use--I think I need a brush for the grout but a roller for the brick?
How heavy of a nap and so on should I use?
Also does the primer need to be tinted with the color of paint I am using?
Any advice/tips for the project will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much for your time and help.
Jan
jmb324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #2

Painting brick advice

I think you should use this for the brick

1" Nap - Rough Surfaces
Perfect for: concrete block, brick, textured plaster

I think the roller should be able to cover the grout.
1 coat of primer and 2 coat of paint should do the trick.
For the primer, if it is a dark color paint I would use a tint. If it's a light color then my guess is that, it don't required a tint.

I'm not a expert! This is just what I would do.
r3dmonk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #3

Painting brick advice

I always recommend you NOT paint brick unless it is already painted. Your surface now will still look good 30 years from now. If you paint it, it will look a little bit better for a year or 2 and then be worse than what you have now and have to be repainted again.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
typing left handed

Painting brick advice

r3dmonk3y, thanks much for the info...I'll look for that roller type when I head to paint store. Its a small area so it shouldnt be too difficult or expensive.

Matthewt1970, thank you for the advice...normally I'd agree with you about the brick, but this hearth is the most hideous shade of dark, brownish red clay while the rest of the fireplace and mantle have all been redone in wood and painted white but the main reason for wanting to paint is the person who lived here before sat flower pots on it and there are water ring stains and large spill stains/discolorations that nothing has taken off. Eventually I plan on doing some kind of ceramic tile project over it but for now painting will make it something I can live with and that will match the rest of the fireplace and room.

Again, Thank you both for your thoughts.
jmb324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #5

Painting brick advice

jmb324, it seems I have the EXACT same brownish/red/clay tile in front of my fireplace as well! I want to attempt to paint it - did you wind up doing yours, and if so, how has it held up?

Thanks!
TJ
TJ07921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Painting brick advice

When you go to that "REAL" paint store and not Blowes or Homely depot, just ask them, personally I would use a nap that is a made just for this and I believe it is bigger than 1 inch and I don't think priming is necessary on interior brick, at least I never did and I have done a lot of interior brick. Be prepared to use more paint than you would think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
40+yrs Paint Trades

Painting brick advice

As you roll keep a brush handy to pick off any run that come from the mortar lines. Odds are there will be some.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Painting brick advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
As you roll keep a brush handy to pick off any run that come from the mortar lines. Odds are there will be some.
Very true!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #9

Painting brick advice

Get a little wizze/cigar roller if you have to sue a roller. If you are just painting the hearth, a 9" roller with a 1" nap is way overkill. A quart will do 2 coats with paint leftover. A 1" roller nap will almost soak up a quart of paint itself. I would just get a nice 2 1/2" angle brush and work in the paint. It might take you an extra 15 minutes or so to work the paint in but you will save $5 for a nap that you will never use again. I would also recommend a masonry primer so you now need a roller setup for that.

A quart of masonry primer and a quart of quality latex in Satin or Semi-Gloss and you are all set.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Contractor

Painting brick advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
When you go to that "REAL" paint store and not Blowes or Homely depot, just ask them, personally I would use a nap that is a made just for this and I believe it is bigger than 1 inch and I don't think priming is necessary on interior brick, at least I never did and I have done a lot of interior brick. Be prepared to use more paint than you would think.
I wouldn't paint brick without priming it with a masonry primer first. They will be able to help you select a good product at any "REAL" paint store.

Your probably going to have to do more than one coat anyway, you may as well use a manufacturer approved system.
Sasquatchpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #11

Painting brick advice

If it's possible avoid painting brick altogether. It usually does not look great- kind of has a cover up look. A brick fireplace can be beautiful and rustic if you work it properly. Clean it up and maybe freshen the grout. Don't ruin the natural beauty with paint that will need constant upkeep.
Aliza is offline   Reply With Quote