Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Share |

Painting brick?

Hi all. I want to paint my old outdated bricks on the outside of my fireplace. Not the inside, that will be exposed to heat. I was told that I need some kind of block filler to fill in all the little holes and cracks in the brick, before I can paint. But, Sherwin Williams only sells it in 5 gallon buckets. What exactly is that stuff? Is there a company that sells it in a smaller container?

Does it go by a different name besides the very basic and general sounding name "Block Filler"? Seems like it might.

EDIT:

Nevermind I found it. Valspar sells some on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Valspar-044-00...s=block+filler

Last edited by Bennylava; 08-21-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #2

Painting brick?

Bricks never become outdated. I would highly suggest you never paint bricks, but if you must, a good masonry primer or masonry paint is usually better on brick than a block filler. Block filler is more for cinder block.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (11-19-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 58

Painting brick?

Have never seen, used, or heard of this product. I have used block filler from Sher. Will. was really thick 50 sqft to a gallon. Took a $3000 sprayer to shoot it, had to handle a .032 tip. And a second person had to follow behind and backroll. This claims 125sqft a gallon which means it's pretty thin. I also noticed there were no reviews for the product so I would be leary. And as stated I think block filler is more for concrete block.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 0

Painting brick?

Painting bricks is more permanent than getting a tattoo. And it's something that rarely looks good on an older home, or an older person.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Live_Oak For This Useful Post:
Blondesense (11-19-2013), Gymschu (08-22-2013), RWolff (11-19-2013), ToolSeeker (08-22-2013), user1007 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

Painting brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
Painting bricks is more permanent than getting a tattoo. And it's something that rarely looks good on an older home, or an older person.
It won't be permanent. I intend to marble tile, or some other high end tile on the fireplace. Its just to clean up the damage that has been done to the "look" of the brick, by the previous owner. If you saw it, you'd understand why something needs to be done.
Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 16

Painting brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
It won't be permanent. I intend to marble tile, or some other high end tile on the fireplace. Its just to clean up the damage that has been done to the "look" of the brick, by the previous owner. If you saw it, you'd understand why something needs to be done.
That's why pics are so important on here!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting brick?

If a new marble or stone front is in its future, why not just put a thin layer of drywall over it for now. Tape, mud, prime and paint. Trim it out differently if that would help. Then deal with it permanently when you can.

One of the fireplaces---in the living room right off the entry---in my California home came with white painted brick and I hated it. Had I known, or had it been availed, I would have tried dry ice blasting the paint off of it.

Painted over brick looks like painted over brick. Always. I cannot tell you how often I have been asked to get paint off of brick.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
K&B Designer

Painting brick?

Thinset on top of paint to adhere stone isn't recommended. Thinset needs to be able to "grab", and a smooth non porous paint job won't let that happen. If the fireplace brick has damage, the best thing is to go ahead with your plan to clad it with something else. It will actually be cheaper in the long run. A bag of thinset and some marble tile will run you under $150, even if you pick an expensive one. The specialty primer and paint will run you almost that much. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish here!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 96

Painting brick?

I personally have seen some painted brick homes that I thought looked very classy. Sounds like I'm in the minority.
http://www.thenester.com/nest-files/...ur-brick-house
http://quakerrose.com/whitewashing-b...ur-brick-wall/
http://quakerrose.com/wp-content/upl...nted-Brick.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hUw_VQ5l9r0/TD...jpg?imgmax=800
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting brick?

Not saying a painted brick home can not look nice if it is was designed for that appearance. I still think it a shame though. What gets me is one someone tires of the look of a 1700s Philadelphia row house and gets away with painting it kermit the frog green or some hideous color.

And it pains me to see beautiful brick interior walls painted over. Just my thing I guess. As mentioned, I was usually hired to try and get the paint off them. Carbon dioxide blasting seems to work well but came on to my radar scope after I had need for it.

Some of the faded painted signs on old brick building around here have kind of an interesting look to them now that most of the paint has worn off.

Last edited by user1007; 08-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (11-19-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
K&B Designer

Painting brick?

I prefer a mortar wash over a painted brick exterior myself. It's softer and less permanent. Painted interior brick ---eh, well, it's usually not at all an improvement. If you don't like the brick cover it with another material or remove it. Just don't paint it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Live_Oak For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-24-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 96

Painting brick?

I used to live in a condo that was a converted cotton mill from the turn of the century. It had original beams and columns hewn from large pines. A lot of people just painted over them. I insisted they remain original and reminded the builder multiple times during the building of it. Of course some yahoo painted one of my columns. He didn't have a very fun weekend scraping it all back down to bare wood and metal.

The original brick in some units looked great. Some of the painted brick looked good too.

Here's a house I flipped, and I faux painted the fireplace. The house needed lightening so I think it helped to tint the dark brick. But then, this isn't exactly a turn of the century historical landmark.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting brick?-img_0813.jpg   Painting brick?-fireplaceleft.jpg  

Last edited by jeffnc; 08-23-2013 at 08:58 PM.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
VAProPainter (02-11-2014)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 36

Painting brick?

That fireplace does look nice Jeff.

I personally think painted brick looks good a lot of times..
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #14

Painting brick?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but was wondering if someone has a suggestion for a brick problem that I have.

House was built in 1980 with (in my opinion) really cheap brick.
There is a sidewalk along one wall and water bouncing from the sidewalk onto the brick has cause an area (about 2'x6') to spald off the surface of some of the bricks. Some of the bricks have flaked off as much as 3/8" thick slabs.
The brick is rough surfaced with that dabbed mortar finish. It seems to be highly porous, as it takes quite some time for it to dry after a rain.
Needless to say, it looks terrible.

If I painted the brick, would it likely to continue to spald ?

If painting would help, what would be a good paint to use ?

The main reason it looks so bad is because of that dabbed mortar finish.
If it was a plain faced brick, I don't think the spalding would be nearly as noticeable.

(The thing is, even if I went to the trouble to replace all the spalded brick,
I can't find any replacement brick that comes anywhere close to matching
the original.)

Thanks,
Arky
Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 36

Painting brick?

I just today went to a house where I did a paint job on some brick that was flaking like you describe. In this case, it was brick laid in the early 70's that had been previously painted. Most of the old paint came off with pressure washing, and the faces of several bricks were flaked off.

After pressure washing and removing the loose brick faces, I sealed the brick with Seal Krete Original and finished it with SW Duration.

I took some pics today because I didn't have any of this job. It was done 2 yrs ago, and hasn't been washed since so it's pretty dirty. On close inspection, I saw no evidence of present flaking or peeling.

The 2nd pic is the back side where the flaking was worse. It looks way better than it did, and is solid after 2yrs. I'm very satisfied with product performance so far.

3rd pic is a close up of the damaged back side brick.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting brick?-image-823527688.jpg   Painting brick?-image-141751158.jpg   Painting brick?-image-2480675296.jpg  

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Bennylava (08-28-2013)