Painting Bedroom Door - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Painting Bedroom Door

I have an unpainted (stained) bedroom door with some semi-deep scratches in it. I want to paint the door, closet door (same type wood, I'm guessing plywood) and all the molding/door frame (I believe stained oak) the color of the walls....what are the steps I need to take? And what type of products do I need to use? I'm a newbie so go easy on me

Advertisement

digger59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #2

Painting Bedroom Door

1. Start by filling the scratches. I use a two part filler made by bondo. You can purchase this at any of the big box stores int he paint department. You might be able to use spackle paste, though it usually will not adhere well.

2. Sand the filler and all areas to be painted with 120-150 grit sandpaper.

3. Prime. I use Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 waterborne. It dries fast and will block the stain from bleeding through your top coat (this is a very necessary step). Sand lightly with 180 grit sandpaper.

4. I recommend a 100% acrylic top coat. My favorite is Porter Manor Hall, it is pricey but it lays out very nice and smooth. Benjamin Moore Impervo 100% acrylic is awesome also. Sherwin-Williams Pro Classic 100% acrylic is very good also. 1 quart will be enough for 1 door and casing.

5. Caulk the joints between jamb and casing and door panels if it is a paneled door.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Advertisement

handyanswerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Painting Bedroom Door

1- sand the wood trim down with 80-120 paper then dust it off

2- prime everything with Zinsser cover stain in OIL (latex primer will scratch off trust me..........been there done that)

3- fill all nail holes,scratches with Water Putty (bondo is to complicated for homeowners and requires a bit of experience to work with it...it will set up on you before you even use it)...... water putty is a one part mix, simple to use and dries ROCK HARD !!! and its cheap

4- sand everything down again then spot prime the areas you repaired

5- caulk all joints

6- 2 finish coats of latex of your choice..... any kind of enemal will be fine, i use Finnaren & Haley or M.A.B paint..............but any good quality latex enamel will do fine

7- have a beer when your done lol
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Painting Bedroom Door

Digger59....I was just drawing from 30 years of painting full time and trying to make it easy on your nose and wits. Oil is nasty and smells and will take 24 hrs to dry or longer, is very prone to run and sag and you will need paint thinner or mineral spirits to clean up with, water will not work. Nylon brushes do not work with oil based paints either. Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 water base does have some smell to it, but it dries fast, 1 hr and it will stick to tile and glass. Yes, it can be scratched off and so can oil based primer.

Heck, I can even scratch the paint off my car!

All that said, I know that oil if applied correctly gives outstanding results and holds up very well. I have applied thousands of gallons of oil based paints.

If you decide to use any paint other than I suggested make sure it has a non-blocking formulation. This will prevent the painted areas from sticking to each other, think door to door stop, or jamb.

One more thing, if you use oil based paint as the top coat, remember, oil will yellow in days and you will have a hard time getting touch up to match later.

As for Finneran & Haley or M.A.B. I am sure these are great paints. But, unless you reside in the N.E. corner of the USA, looks like you're from WI, you are going to have a hard time finding them. That is why I suggested 'national brands'.

Good-Luck you can do it. After all it is just painting!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Super Master Painter

Painting Bedroom Door

OIL primer DOES NOT TAKE 24 HRS TO DRY ..............and yes it does smell but your only doing 2 doors so open a window that will help, id rather deal with a bad smell for a few hours then a lifetime of failed primer..........do it right the first time is the old saying...........and all paint be it primer or finish will RUN and SAG if not applied correctly.........the majority of BAD PAINT JOBS have one thing in common...........BAD PRIMER
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #6

Painting Bedroom Door

Digger59,

Yes, I have been aware of fast drying oils since the early 1980's and have used many different brands. They are fast and that is why I did not recommend them. Most dry too fast to lay them out nicely with a brush and roller.

Try them if you want to.

Here is a link to one that should work very well. Just remember you'll need a chinese bristle brush or natural rollers.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=226

Super Master Painter,

There is no need to shout. Your North East attitude is loud enough.

I am well aware of fast dry oils. I have been using them since the early 1980's.

Most dry too fast to lay out nicely with a brush and roller and get the best results by spray application.

How about giving some help to the person who asked for help.
The Following User Says Thank You to handyanswerman For This Useful Post:
Edgar214 (02-03-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Super Master Painter

Painting Bedroom Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyanswerman View Post
How about giving some help to the person who asked for help.

i already gave him all the help i can.......here look

1- sand the wood trim down with 80-120 paper then dust it off

2- prime everything with Zinsser cover stain in OIL (latex primer will scratch off trust me..........been there done that)

3- fill all nail holes,scratches with Water Putty (bondo is to complicated for homeowners and requires a bit of experience to work with it...it will set up on you before you even use it)...... water putty is a one part mix, simple to use and dries ROCK HARD !!! and its cheap

4- sand everything down again then spot prime the areas you repaired

5- caulk all joints

6- 2 finish coats of latex of your choice..... any kind of enemal will be fine, i use Finnaren & Haley or M.A.B paint..............but any good quality latex enamel will do fine

7- have a beer when your done lol
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Super Master Painter

Painting Bedroom Door

Quote:
Digger59,

Just remember you'll need a chinese bristle brush or natural rollers.

you can also use a latex brush with oil...........actually it produces a better finish in my opinion .........
Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

Painting Bedroom Door

Quote:
. Most dry too fast to lay them out nicely with a brush and roller.

paint doesnt dry up on me while im working, when im finished the entire doors is still wet, no laps marks or flashes cause its all still WET.......... here watch my video..........priming a bare oak door in 4:00

Last edited by Ole34; 02-02-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,070

Painting Bedroom Door

I gotta agree with the oil primer. When you go over stained wood you never know what kind of wood tannins or even the stain itself will bleed through. Plus nothing penetrates and gives you the durability like oil.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #11

Painting Bedroom Door

I just jumped in cause I need help with a door. I followed a video...tried to, and painted it with a brush. It has some areas where the brush marks showed and some dull spots. One place looks uneven like a crater under the paint. I must have painted too much in an area that was already painted and not dry? At any rate, I have resanded lightly and would using a small roller made for doors be better? I can't stand painting all white. I keep going over the same places some and miss others with different number of coats, or something. I am just trying to figure it out.Help me if you can, and yes...a newbie too. Real new!
annibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #12

Painting Bedroom Door

Someone help me...if you are out there! LOL I need help with painting already primed doors. I painted and must have painted some of the areas too thick. I have a large sinkhole where it looks like I took paint off and pushed it to the rim of the sinkhole. I have some dull spots with shiny here and there too. I am going to sand lightly and should I paint with a roller instead?

Advertisement

annibelle is offline   Reply With Quote