Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to sprtskhne33 Send a message via Yahoo to sprtskhne33
Share |

Painting bedroom

I'm going to be painting a bedroom, but I don't know how much paint to use. I've seen math formula's online but never figured out how to do it. The room has two 12 ft walls, at 2ft section, 3 ft section, 22 in section, and 2 more 2 ft sections, plus a 10ft wall. Two windows measuring 5ft high, 3ft wide. Then a door with 82.5 in high, 30 in wide. Walls are 90in high. I'm just painting the walls, one color, then the ceiling another color. I'm placing 2 coats on. The walls are painted with those swirl textures, and are a very light blue, with no light it looks blue but with light it looks white. So should I primer also? I'm using a burgundy color paint. Ceiling is the same color as the walls, but I'm painting that a medium gray, like the roof of a hockey arena. Like I said, I found formula's but I couldn't figure them out. Look below for a attachment of the wall layout and sorry about the poor quality, I tried my best. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting bedroom-room.jpg  

sprtskhne33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #2

Painting bedroom

So this is basically a 10 X 12 bedroom with 7 1/2 foot ceilings. If you were painting any color but red, you would likely only use one gallon of paint on the walls and one on the ceiling. Burgundy is a bad word for most painters because the primary colors like red take 3 or 4 coats for proper coverage. Most paint stores will insist that you buy a GRAY primer and apply that to the walls first. This is gonna be a tough project because of the burgundy color. Good luck.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Painting bedroom

Your project should take 2gallons of paint on the walls and one gallon of paint on the ceiling. That is if you use a quality 100% acrylic latex paint. A gray primer on the walls isn't necessary if they are already a shade of blue. Reds are hard to paint over light colors such as white, the white will actually bleed through the red. It isn't always necessary to use a tinted primer before painting red unless like I said the previous color is real light, such as white, but you should use quality paints and apply two coats.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #4

Painting bedroom

Yes, you'll need 2 gallons of your Burgundy paint.
* I came up with ~ 300sf of paintable surface.
* At the MAX, a gal. of paint will maybe hit 400sf. If someone's getting more than 400sf/gal., it's being applied waaaaayy too thin!
* Deep tint-bases like Burgundies, won't go as far, because they're less full.
* Therefore...2 gallons of color.

PRIMER:
* I wouldn't let you out of my paint-dep't. without a battleship-gray primer under 98% of Reds/Burgundies. They're too sheer to hide the previous color!!
* Light-blue walls are NO better than white walls...they're still too white.
* So...wherever that Burgundy's going, apply Gray primer. Let dry ~ 2-3 hours.
* Then, 2 FULL COATS of Burgundy, about 4-5 hours apart. Because of the real heavy colorant-load, dry-time between coats almost doubles.

What color/brands/sheen of paint are ya using?

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to sprtskhne33 Send a message via Yahoo to sprtskhne33

Painting bedroom

I'm not sure on the brand, the burgundy color for walls, gray for the ceiling, and semi-gloss.
sprtskhne33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #6

Painting bedroom

Sprt, are you sure you want Semi-gloss as your finish? I would much prefer Satin on the walls. That SG will really magnify any imperfections on the wall.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to FordRacer2007

Painting bedroom

If I were you I would try using Valspar's new HD cans, they are supposed to cover anything in one coat. They are $10 more expensive I beleive but it is still cheaper than spending another $25 on a second can and maybe even another $20 on gray tinted primer. That is what I'm planing on doing when I paint my dining room this week since I will be going with a cranberry color.
FordRacer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #8

Painting bedroom

That "High-Def" color crap is just Marketing-buzzwords.

Depending on the formula of the chosen "Burgundy/Cranberry", it's gonna be fairly sheer. Reds & Magentas are pretty sheer colorants...little opacity to them.
...and I KNOW Lowe's hasn't changed to different colorants! THAT would be REAL expensive. An FPE Burgundy is the only thing that I've seen that WILL cover WHITE in 1 coat....BUT...it's very spendy stuff. Their colorants (pastes) are very different than anything in the U.S.

Besides...how does the "primer" in the can know how to get to the wall first?!??!??!

Faron
Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to FordRacer2007

Painting bedroom

Have you tried the HD paint? If you haven't then you can't say it is crap, I dint say for sure it would work because I haven't tried it myself, but I am going to try it soon and I'll take photos of before and after so we all know for sure.
FordRacer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #10

Painting bedroom

Ahhhh yes...

I didn't say the PAINT was crap.

Just the "Marketing" buzzwords campaign stating "High-definition" color....because of the "built-in" primer...is largely "crap".

Only a very basic primer can "co-exist" with an actual PAINT...in the same can. MOST primers and MOST paints are 2 very different things. There's more differences than similarities.

When these 2 broad classes of resins are combined, you're sacrificing the capabilities of BOTH.

Read this line again..."How does the primer in the can know how to get to the wall first..."!!!

Faron