Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: tips on painting beadboard
Poll Options
tips on painting beadboard

Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #1

Share |

painting beadboard?

I'm working on painting my center island.
I took off the doors and drawers and spray painted them outside using primer, then SW Classic Pro Semi Gloss "Sea Salt" with my Graco Pro II airless sprayer.
I hand painted the styles and rails on the front of the island.

The back half I am going to put slated beadboard.

I bought them and cut them all down to size and am wondering the best way to paint them.

1. Do we install them first and then paint them
  2. Do I paint the individual slats and then put them onto the back of my island.
  3. Or... do I slide them all together in the grooves, lay sections across sawhorses like shown below, and paint them that way. Once dry, pull them apart and individually put them together and nail them onto the island?

DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #2

painting beadboard?

Sand and clean first to get rid of mill marks and fuzz.
Lay them flat but do not over lap them at the seams. Those seams tend to open up and there would be an unpainted line.
Going to have to prime.
I just roll with a 1/2 nap roller and touch up with a sash brush.
Less mess and far less paint then with a spray gun.
I like to use an enamel paint for a tougher surface.

DIY-Her (11-24-2013), Startingover (11-25-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

painting beadboard?

I would install them first. It might be advantageous to prime the panels first, but I would hold off on finish painting till there up. There will likely be some places you want to caulk. Like where the panels join together.

Nice work btw!
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #4

painting beadboard?

It's always nice to get a coat of primer and a coat of paint on BEFORE installation. Then, apply the final coat after the install. Why? Because you get marks, fingerprints, etc on them in the process of nailing, etc. You can also fill nail holes before applying that final coat. That's just my way of doing it. It is not necessarily the best way or even the right way, but, it was always frustrating to me to have to apply another coat after thinking I was done after marking up the nice finish in the installation process.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

painting beadboard?

thank you all. The reason I was saying paint them when they were put together on the horse, because I didn't want paint to get get into some of the grooves that need to be certain thickness so they all fit.
I just primed them with Zinzer and planned to do 2 coats sanding lightly between each.
Since the paint I am using is self leveling, I thought it might level better if it was laying flat?

The directions on the front of the pack of 6 said to use 1 1/2" nail gun either on the front, and fill in the holes, or nail them in the grooves so the nails don't show. I didn't feel comfortable, nor my husband nailing into the grooves because its not as thick as floor boards are where we have done the same thing.

I put them all together across the island to see how they fit, and it looks like the width is exactly end to end, so no ripping of the wood slats needed which is good.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

painting beadboard?

The spray gun does use a lot more paint, but the results on my doors is so much better than when I used a roller and brush. If it was nice weather and not windy, I would have just lined them all up close enough and used my sprayer to get even coverage. I noticed when I used the Zinzzer with the sprayer, the coat came out a lot thicker than it does when I paint primer by hand. By hand, you can almost see through the paint on the first coat
Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

painting beadboard?

With the paint you are using you can either spray or brush. I would also do one coat off then the finish coat after up. I have installed a ton of this stuff and you are wrong about the nailing you will save a lot of work using a brad nailer and nailing in the grooves, no filling ,sanding, and priming. When you use brads in the grooves they are invisible. I just finished a sound booth in a church with this on the front. We stained and polyurethaned it so filled nail holes would have really shown.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

painting beadboard?

I just asked my husband and he said we have a brad nailer. Are there different grades of beadboard? The one I bought this from Home Depot
Seems like putting nails on the end will split the thinner section.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hakwood-8...0#.UpJ7SOIntZY
Old 11-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

painting beadboard?

Yours is better than mine I used the cheap 4'x8' sheet and cut it. A brad is for situations like this they are small so they won't split like a nail will. I suppose it could but I have never had it happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (11-24-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

painting beadboard?

thanks, actually since I never looked to purchase beadboard, I took for granted most were the 4x8 sheets. A couple weeks ago while I was in Lowes, I started looking at what was available and I did see 4x8 sheets and some other sizes. When I talked to the guy at Lowes, he was the one that told me to get the other tongue in groove boards.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

painting beadboard?

The ones you got will give you a lot better look as they are a higher quality than the 4'x8' sheets.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (11-25-2013)