Painting A Bathroom With Oil Base Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting a bathroom with oil base paint

Hello; I have a bathroom that was painted a few years ago with oil base paint. I cleaned it with tsp solution and it looks pretty good. I want to continue to paint on top with oil base, but it is difficult to find it and the tenants do not like the smell. If I could I would like to paint over with semi-gloss enamel water base. But I am afraid it is going to peel off.
Any advice ? Thanks

Advertisement

Gabriel8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,218

You will need to scruff up the surface some with 100 grit sandpaper, apply a bonding primer( Zinnser 123) then paint

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What Chris said!

In the old days, I would have used an alkyd primer but most are still solvent based and would defeat your purpose. Not really necessary if you are putting a latex/acrylic product over a good bonding primer these days anyhow.

Do use a quality paint store, not box store, semi-gloss. Or for a less institutional look, drop down the sheen to a satin or something less glossy looking. It will still resist the moisture and be easy to clean but will not look like a hospital room.

I assume you have adequate ventilation if it is a small bath via a window or an exhaust fan. Not much will stick for long on anything if you cannot exhaust the humidity in a small space.

Remember it takes semi-gloss and other acrylics with sheen up to 30 days or so to fully cure so try not to scrub the paint too much before then. Two coats will give you the film thickness you want so don't skimp on that.

Last edited by user1007; 04-24-2013 at 09:04 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote