Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Painting a bathroom

My apartment has a shower stall that has painted walls. The bottom is tile but the tile only comes up one 6"square off the floor. I believe it is oil paint. However, in some places it has begun flaking off exposing the drywall underneath. I know what the permanent fix is but until I renew my long term lease (finishing up 5 year lease) I am not putting in any more money. So in the short term my thought is to just scrape as much paint as I can off. And then sand. And then repaint with at least two coats of Zinsser Bathroom followed by the color paint of choice for all but the last foot.

Would that be the correct way of handling this situation temporarily?

I eventually plan on ripping out the drywall and putting in cement board and tile but that is once I've negotiated a longer lease on my place. Just one of many projects planned.

tunaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

Painting a bathroom

Remove loose paint one way or the other ( sanding), prime with a quality bonding primer( Zinnsers 123), paint with at least a quality eggshell finish, done. If you are eventually going to re place the drywall, no need to buy special bathroom paint especially if it is properly ventilated

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Painting a bathroom

This is in the shower!

How about some pics.

Drywall protected by paint ain't gonna do it in a shower.

There is no correct way to fix it, it is just plain wrong. If you start scraping and sanding it may just all fall apart.

At the end, just before I ripped out my shower, I had plastic sheeting hung on three walls. A very temporary solution, but kept it useable the last couple months.

Last edited by Blondesense; 09-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting a bathroom

You are tenant or co-op owner in this apartment? What permissions are you allowed?

You might want to post basic profile information so we know where you are?

Last edited by user1007; 09-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #5

Painting a bathroom

Yes, it is in a shower. The shower is a custom built shower stall, probably about 10 square feet of floor space, built into a corner of my apartment. Permissions are that Im responsible for fixing and maintaining everything.

I know it is wrong but I dont have the resources or the time to rip out the drywall and put in cement board right now. Maybe next year. Just want something that will last in the short term like 6 months or so.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #6

Painting a bathroom

That sounds odd...

For a temporary fix, I would look at some of those cheaper acrylic/plastic sheets for tub and shower surrounds. The cheaper ones are quite thin and I believe glue to the drywall. You can get sheets of the stuff, some looks a bit tacky like cheap tile, I'd scrape the wall, seal it with primer, and throw some of that on it so that it is waterproof, silicone the joints. Demo it and do a nicer job when you know it will be worth it with your lease.

How long have you been using the shower like that? i'm surprised it's lasted more than two months if the water is splashing against the drywall.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

Painting a bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense[COLOR=red
;1007153]This is in the shower! [/COLOR]

How about some pics.

Drywall protected by paint ain't gonna do it in a shower.

There is no correct way to fix it, it is just plain wrong. If you start scraping and sanding it may just all fall apart.

At the end, just before I ripped out my shower, I had plastic sheeting hung on three walls. A very temporary solution, but kept it useable the last couple months.

wow, missed that
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting a bathroom

Certainly as a tenant you are not responsible for remedying crappy infrastructure like a sub standard shower install? I cannot imagine your landlord allowing you near structure for which he/she/it has ultimate liability?

You may get yourself in lots of trouble seeking a quick or even temporary fix even if with good intentions you are messing with owner infrastructure. My instinctive feathers, seldom wrong, suggest you are setting yourself up to be royally screwed in this. Replacing a shower and its plumbing does not fall under routine maintenance of the tenant in my experience.

Do you have something like a tenant union or law clinic that can look over your lease. Slumlords hate such people but responsible landlords and tenants like them.

Last edited by user1007; 09-11-2012 at 09:09 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

Painting a bathroom

Sdsester, its a way different situation. The property is a commercially zoned warehouse and I am on a commercial lease. So it is a business transaction, not a private residential transaction. Thus no tenant laws or protections apply. My apartment is a unit built on the roof of the warehouse. In my contract it says I am responsible for all non structural repairs. I also got a good deal on the place so I am not so worried about doing the repairs.

Thanks for the linoleum idea. I will check that out.