Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Painting bathroom

We have had a problem throughout our house where we painted and had the paint underneath bubble and peel off in huge strips. I am in the process of wanted to paint our bathroom which is quite steamy. We do have a fan in there but it still seems steamy. What is the best primer for me to apply before I paint. Right now the paint that is on there is cracking and we have mildew spots on the ceiling. Whenever we paint in any room we seem to get little bubbles appear

user110093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #2

Painting bathroom

The primeris not the entire equation. You definetly want to use a high quality primer. Spend a little bit extra for Sw or BM brands. Are you painting over previously wall papered walls? For the bathrooms use a high sheen paint like semi-gloss or eggshell. Some brands like sherwin-Williams sell special bathroom paint with mildewcides in them. You can also have that added to non-BR paint. Aside from paint it sounds like you are not prepping the surface correctly. Tell us how you are prepping? What was on the walls prior to you painting them?

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Painting bathroom

Are the walls plaster or drywall? Was wallpaper recently removed? Are you painting over wallpaper? Without really seeing the problem and without really knowing what the walls are it is hard to diagnose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

Painting bathroom

Yes, knowing what was on the wall originally is important, I have found in my exp that latex over oil paint or semi to hi gloss without a decent primer will sometimes make it blister. Dont forget a good scratch (sand) if it is latex over oil. The age of the house can sometimes determine what kind of paint is likely to be there as they rarely use oil inside anymore.
P Marage is offline   Reply With Quote