Painting Basements Concrete Floor - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting basements concrete floor

I have applied Behr's primer now before putting a coat of glass finishing paint and adding decorative chips. I have a question?
Do I have to apply two coat of paint or one will be sufficient?

Advertisement

ms18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not sure what you have done or what you are trying to accomplish. Is this some kind of epoxy product? Is this one of the finish coat products that has refractive glass particles suspended in it? Usually you have to put color coats underneath it.

Did the product say to prime the floor? (Scares me you used a BEHR product). Ordinarily you do not as primers really are not built to take foot traffic.

Most quality floor paints, like Benjamin Moore's, are either urethane (oil-based paint) or epoxy (water-based) reinforced. You can put a matching clear coat over the top I guess. You could add decorative chips to it I suppose but it will not be the same finish as a two part epoxy floor.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 07-29-2012 at 03:02 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ms18 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms18 View Post
I have applied Behr's primer now before putting a coat of glass finishing paint and adding decorative chips. I have a question?
Do I have to apply two coat of paint or one will be sufficient?

that is just wrong for so many reasons
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-02-2012), ms18 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

I don't like to high jack threads but I'm gearing up to paint my 3 year old basement floor. Hopefully this weekend.

Unfortunately there are a series of hairline to 2 mm cracks that spiderweb out across the slab.

I was planning on washing the floor "just water and a brush" and then using an etching compound sold at home depot. Before I paint.

Does anyone see a problem with just filling the cracks with silicone and painting?

There has been zero water damage/penetration and I think the movement is done.

Also I have a gas water heater, a coworker mentioned something about a sensor I should be concerned about. Thoughts?
new diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

If you use 100% silicone- no paint WILL EVER.. did I say never? YES I DID- will never- adhere to it.

If it doesn't say paintable- it's not.

They should sell silicone behind a locked case that only someone who actually knows how to use it can open.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
If you use 100% silicone- no paint WILL EVER.. did I say never? YES I DID- will never- adhere to it.

If it doesn't say paintable- it's not.

They should sell silicone behind a locked case that only someone who actually knows how to use it can open.
Silicone is the work of the devil! I, and most painters I know absolutely hate the stuff!!! GE really hyped it for purposes it was never really intended.

Look to something like concrete repair products from Abatron. They come in different forms including injectable for cracks. They are epoxy based and you can paint over them. You can even take standard grinding and sanding tools to them after they are cured. Try that with silicone for a fun experience!

And what did the minimum wage person in an orange apron who has never ever painted a concrete floor recommend you use for cleaning and etching?

Last edited by user1007; 07-31-2012 at 08:14 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

Make sure before washing the basement gas water heater is off. The sensor is near to the ground and sensitive too. I washed my basement and activated the sensor Spent one day without hot water. Called someone who charged me 200 to replace it because it is not covered under warranty
You can turn it off from the button says on, off somewhere on the water heater and unplug from the wall out let.
Turn it on after washing basement and completely drying the area around heater.

Also I have a gas water heater, a coworker mentioned something about a sensor I should be concerned about. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Ok...
Great info so far. So the sensor won't go off so long as I cut the power to it?

I swapped silicone for DAP premium concrete & masonry sealant "says paintable on it"

To etch I've got dynamic granular base for concrete etch.

When I wash to prep the first time is there something I should be using?

Last edited by new diy; 07-31-2012 at 05:02 PM.
new diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 20

Good point about the sensors on gas water heaters-that can be a real PITA!! At the restaurant I used to run, we had a single large gas water heater in the basement and I had those sensors (they're called a flammable vapor sensor, I believe) blow out on me several times in the year and a half I was there. As you can imagine, not having hot water in a restaurant is NOT a good thing, luckily it always happened either early in the morning or during a slow time of the day. Our dishwasher had its own booster heater, so we still had hot water for washing and sanitizing dishes and we could heat water on the stove, so we could limp through it, but if it happened on a busy night during dinner, I have no clue what we would have done!

I ended up sort of solving the problem by buying 5 of the sensors at once from a plumbing supply place that also gave me a deal on them, I think I paid under $30 each for them. (well a great deal considering they were normally around $60 each, but not a great deal for a tiny part that couldn't cost more than $1 to make!) On our water heater, they were pretty easy to replace, I just popped the new one in and then had to enter a code on the electronic control to get it to unlock the heater again and it was right back to heating the water again.

I know that one time it tripped because we had just resealed the basement floor and there was very little airflow down there, not sure what tripped it other times, but what a PITA!!! I think ALL water heaters produced now have to have them.

One more thing, I don't know if just cutting the power to the sensor would keep it from sensing the vapors and then not letting you turn the heater back on when you are done, because once the sensor trips, it is tripped for good. On our heater it took 5 seconds to pop it out. I would pop it out and take out out of the basement just to be sure.

Last edited by BT5150; 08-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.
BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #10

I washed my basement twice. First time without turing off the water heater and sensor activated. Second time after turning the sensor off and nothing happened. I also turned it off when I painted my basement. I painted my basement in the evening and let the heater stay off for the night and turned it on early in the morning.

Advertisement