Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Painting a basement floor: just need it to be a little less crappy

I realize there's a good deal of information out there on this but it all seems to be geared towards making a beautiful almost "finished basement" floor that will last twenty years. They also tend to assume a concrete floor that is in good shape. This floor is concrete that was in rough shape to begin with and painted over. A lot of the paint is peeling. It isn't worth that much effort; it's just a laundry/storage room. We don't need it to be immaculate, just better than it is.

For prep, I plan on scrapping as much of the peeling paint as I can get, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping/scrubbing, rinsing with a hose and sprayer.

-There are a couple pitted areas that I was considering using SLC on just to make the floor easier to sweep. Bad idea? Even if I get all the old paint off the area first?
-There are also a couple bigger pits, maybe an inch around and inch deep that I might try filling in if there's something that will dry enough paint over in 24 hours or so. What should I use?
-I was thinking of using this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9&marketID=185
- Water based, doesn't require primer, not too expensive, instructions don't drone on about how perfect the floor needs to be before you apply it. Any opinions on this stuff or other recommendations?

Last edited by Ptron; 04-29-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Forgot some information
Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote