Painting Basement: Drylock Over Drylock - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Painting basement: Drylock over drylock

I would like to paint my basement before I set up my workshop so it's not so depressing. The current finish looks like might be a half-fast application of drylock over old paint. I've never noticed water coming through the walls before. Whether this is because the drylock is actually doing something or it wasn't a problem in the first place, who knows? Anyway I was thinking of painting it with drylock just for good measure.

-Is it in any way a bad idea to use drylock "just for good measure"?
-Can I just paint drylock over the old stuff or does it still need to be primed?
-If drylock is a bad idea (or just a waste of money) should I use exterior primer and paint?
-Is anti-mold/mildew paint worth it? I don't have a big water or humidity problem down there but I do get a little bit of water a couple times a year.

Advertisement

Ptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Go to a paint store and get "Block Filler". Its just a really thick paint that fills in the pores of the block better. Its cheap too, but the spread rate is less.

Advertisement

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
Go to a paint store and get "Block Filler". Its just a really thick paint that fills in the pores of the block better. Its cheap too, but the spread rate is less.

Be prepared to be exhasted when done, this stuff is HEAVY, but you really cannot apply dry lock over any other finish, so block filler shoud do what you need.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Super Master Painter

i would get the cheapest enamel you can find an do 2 coats .....use a heavy nap roller cover......that block you have is already painted so painting it again is gonna be a cake walk......... go with something with a high spread rate and youll be done in no time ...............
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. Cheap...I like the sound of that.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Is anybody going to address the water stain problem. Block filler won't do it. You need to oil prime, Zinsser Cover Stain, the water stain. Have some serious ventilation or extinguish the pilot lights, that's a possible kaboom. Nothing is going to stop that moisture from coming through though, the drylock that's on there is no longer enough, and you can't, as ChrisN said, put drylock over any other finish, even drylock. Add some mildewcide to the finish and put a humidifier in the basement. It looks like you already have some mildew there, wash with bleach/water and rinse.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

My appologies. I was going to say something in the original post but forgot. I Included that picture mostly to show how spotty the dry-lock (or it could be block filler) was applied. That stain along the bottom looks in the picture like it's from water coming through the foundation but up close you can see it's from something that was splashed or spilled on there from the inside. Who knows from what, a dirty mop or something. The corner looks darker mostly from the lighting but als the coating is spottier/thinner there.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
i would get the cheapest enamel you can find an do 2 coats .....use a heavy nap roller cover......that block you have is already painted so painting it again is gonna be a cake walk......... go with something with a high spread rate and youll be done in no time ...............
Sorry if this is a rudimentary question but when you say enamel, you mean as in oil based right? When I used to paint apartments years ago. We said "enamel" and "latex" to mean "oil based" and "water based". But then you see a lot of water based paints that say enamel.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptron View Post
Sorry if this is a rudimentary question but when you say enamel, you mean as in oil based right? When I used to paint apartments years ago. We said "enamel" and "latex" to mean "oil based" and "water based". But then you see a lot of water based paints that say enamel.

sorry bout that .....latex enamel is what i meant
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptron View Post
My appologies. I was going to say something in the original post but forgot. I Included that picture mostly to show how spotty the dry-lock (or it could be block filler) was applied. That stain along the bottom looks in the picture like it's from water coming through the foundation but up close you can see it's from something that was splashed or spilled on there from the inside. Who knows from what, a dirty mop or something. The corner looks darker mostly from the lighting but als the coating is spottier/thinner there.
I'd be hardpressed to believe that something on that wall isn't going to burn through a latex coating. Paint it out with latex and if anything comes through, spot it will oil and then the finish.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
sorry bout that .....latex enamel is what i meant
Thanks. That was fast!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I'd be hardpressed to believe that something on that wall isn't going to burn through a latex coating. Paint it out with latex and if anything comes through, spot it will oil and then the finish.
Wow! Rapid fire responses. Much thanks. I will do that.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
Super Master Painter

no problem, its our job here..............good luck with your basement !!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,070

Drylock, Masonry Paint/Primer and Block fill are only good on bare block. They are meant to expand somewhat and fill the voids. They are basicly useless in that aspect once paint is on the walls.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,064

Did you try tape and plastic on the wall over the mold to see if it is leaking and you don't know it because it evaporates right away from the moving basement air? Whew, I'm tired, it's late....LOL. Mold needs moisture to grow, the wall may be wet unless it's Summer mold, the interior wet air going out.... Point being, I'd use a latex based paint to allow the wall to dry when left uncovered from insulation. Drylock will force any outside water to find an alternate route in to your space using the next easiest place, slab, etc.

Gary

Advertisement