Painting Bare Ceiling And Ductwork - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting bare ceiling and ductwork

Hi all,

Recently I've decided to give my 1960s laundry room a modern refresh. The room is essentially unfinished with cinder block on two sides and studded drywall on the other two. The ceiling is completely bare decking with HVAC ductwork and wiring. I want to spray paint the entire ceiling black to give the room a more modern look but I have concerns. I was going to start dusting the area to prep for paint but noticed that the ductwork seemed to contain a considerable amount of white asbestos tape (see attached image). I estimate that there could be anywhere from 15-25+ of these taped joints in the exposed ceiling. Most appear to be in pretty good condition.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I can't justify having it professionally removed.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Painting bare ceiling and ductwork-photo.jpg  

Advertisement

moresean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 744

Just wrap that old tape with foil tape and forget about it.
It would look so much better to frame that ugly ceiling in and just sheetrock it then just spray painting it.
That would also get rid of some of the air leaks in the walls.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

Ask in the hvac section about the duct tape, those guys will probably have the best options, 'tho joecaptions answer might be what they recommend.

If it is a low ceiling basement, like most, painting it black will make it feel more like a cave, imo. Just something to consider.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote