Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Share |

Painting Appliances -vs- Peel and stick vinly

I've been considering painting a large range hood that I cannot remove myself, and the thought of sanding and painting it while on the wall is overwhelming me. I found several companies that sell peel and stick vinyl in a stainless steel finish online (Applianceart.com; Stainlesssteelfilm.com; Ezfauxdecor.com). They even sell faux granite for countertops. Has anyone used this type of product? Just wondering if you were pleased with the application, durability and results...thanks in advance!

DIYGIRL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

i have never seen the stuff. but i doubt it looks exactly like stainless. but saying that, i bet it is nice enough to make a big difference at a small price.

if your hood is flat, then i bet it can be done and look good. but if it is rounded, as mine is. it would make it look not so nice. ymmv

lets see a pic of your hood.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
DIYGIRL123 (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the peel-and-stick vinyl is gonna require just as much prep as the painting and be more difficult. If the hood has been painted before, just scuff sand it and repaint.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #4

Here's a photo...yes, it's Avacado green (lol)..but I like the size and shape of it and it still works very well. I think it should be fairly easy to apply the film, but I will still have to paint the four strips that are raised with a row of rivets throughout. There are also six smaller rivets on each of the outer sides of the range hood (you can barely see them in the photo). Those may cause a problem.

The product states that it is heat resistant (from 14 to 122 degrees ferenheit) and can be used on ovens, but not on the stove top. So, I think it would be safe to use on the range hood as it does not get as hot as the outside of an oven would get.

Has anyone used this film on dishwashers, refridgerators, or other appliances? Sure would like to hear from you!
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Appliances -vs- Peel and stick vinly-img_2786.jpg  
DIYGIRL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
custom user

I used vinyl film for 28 years and wouldn't consider it for that. The film you are talking about is maybe 4 mils, and isn't going to conform to the seams or even the bend around front. Typically, you apply wet and it's too thick to hold the shape. Premium Controltac might have a chance, like on autos but that takes a lot of experience in heating and massaging it into place.

Plus, I imagine it gets hotter that 122 degrees up there. No vinyl will have the surface durability of paint, cleaning it will scratch it all up pretty quickly.

I would paint it, just get a comfortable platform setup after you move the stove out. I'd also use a high end enamel with fine pigments (like One Shot) and a short nap roller, once you have it primed and smooth. then come back with a good brush and paint the seams, maybe even a different color, perhaps a few shades lighter or darker.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JasperST For This Useful Post:
DIYGIRL123 (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

i agree. i don't see the film working well on that shape.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

oh. and i see the film being much more complicated to install.

so, what color are you going to paint it ?

Tags
appliances, countertops, painting