Painting Antique Brass Fireplace Trim To Satin Nickel? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Painting antique brass fireplace trim to Satin nickel?

I'm doing some updating and our fireplace has very nice custom glass doors. Thing is the trim around it in antique brass. Its not smooth brass its bumpy like a hammered look. Any thoughts on painting it with a rustolium hammered nickel paint? Is there maybe a better way to do this? I like the doors just not thee color of that trim. Thanks

Advertisement

mommiemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Rustoleum hammered finishes are one of my favorites. I have not seen it in nickel. Gray and silver yes, but not nickel. You mentioned satin nickel which is a smooth finish. I do not believe you can achieve a smooth finish working over a textured finish as you have now, plus if you use the hammered finish it has particles in it that create the hammered look.

I prefer to use the spray, two light coats covers well. Are you able to do this outside?? Protect the glass with tape and plastic, spray, wait for whatever time the label tells you before handeling and then reinstall. I have not used the brush on product but as long as you apply two THIN coats you should be good to go.

Advertisement

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Whenever you are dealing with spray painting metal like that, take the time and the little bit of extra money and buy a good primer. Primer / preperation is the key to any good paint job. Good Luck

The Design Duo Blog
DesignDuoBlog is offline   Reply With Quote