DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting aluminum windows

5K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  poppameth 
#1 ·
I want to paint my black aluminum windows white (outside only). What is the best paint for this? I don't mind, maybe even prefer, aerosol paint. I want a paint that doesn't attract dirt. What type of paint do they use on soffits? This paint seems to stay relatively clean.

Thanks

#4 ·
Most manufacturers have DTMs now. We sell one from Davis that is much nicer to work with than most of the other brands I've tried. However they are a regional Virginia company so they might not be available where you are at. Most major paint brands have similar products though. Most will recommend priming, though it isn't absolutely necessary if the factory finish is sound. As for brush marks, yes they will show. DTMs dry fast and don't have time for the brush marks to level. I'd use a satin to minimize any marks. Gloss will show them badly. You also need a soft brush to avoid some of the heavier strokes. You could also buy a cheap wagner sprayer for this and spray the DTM that way.

#6 ·
They make DTM primers to go along with the paint. That would be best to use, though Zinsser 1-2-3 isn't a bad option either. It's similar in composition. A foam brush may help. I don't particularly like the things. You don't get a good build to your paint film with them. I know a lot of sign painters that use foam and say it comes out looking smooth as glass. Of course a year later I see most of their signs fading rapidly because they didn't get good film build using the foam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.