DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting an Aluminum Shed

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hgiljr 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have an 8 year old aluminum shed from Ted Shed and in need of paint. I want to say the original paint was baked on and it does not have any rust. As much as I hate to do this since it is the original paint, it looks horrible since it is faded and the color chosen by original owners is not too attractive. So I am looking for suggestions on how to paint this shed. It is large, 14x10. WIll I need to prime it? Can I just use an oil based or other type paint? I do have an airless paint sprayer so this should make it easier. Any help or info greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Rub your hand on the siding and see if it is chalking off. If it is then you need Emulsa-Bond paint additive as well as a good power washing if you can. Latex paint is fine as long as you go with a good brand and stay away from the big box stores. With Aluminum siding you really only need to prime any place where the factory paint is gone. If you do decide to prime the whole thing, use the Emulsabond in the primer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.