Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

painting after taking of wallpaper

Hi! I just took of the old wallpaper in my dining room. It came down very easy. Now I would like to paint the room. Can I just use Gardz primer and then paint or do I have to do a skim coat first? Thanks! Kathrin

Kathrinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 124

It's got to be wipe down with warm water and a dash of liquid fabric softner to get rid of the old glue first several times if not the paint will not stick.
Fill in any damaged areas with spackle if there small, drywall compound if there bigger, let dry and sand and fill agin to make sure there are no air holes. sand again and feel it, If you can feel a hump it's going to show.
Anytime there's a question always prime first with a bonding primer.
If you painting a dark color have the primer tinted gray for less top coats of paint.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrinusa View Post
Hi! I just took of the old wallpaper in my dining room. It came down very easy. Now I would like to paint the room. Can I just use Gardz primer and then paint or do I have to do a skim coat first? Thanks! Kathrin
Get as much PASTE of the wall as possible with hot water and whatever
let dry well
lightly sand
get the dust off
'apply Gardz
let dry
paint
if you are painting anything with a deep base,you will need to also prime with a tinted primer or just prime with an oil based sealing primer( coverstain) after sanding
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

First of all you must be very careful to try to remove all of the remaining wallcovering adhesive. All wallpaper adhesives are water soluble and water alone will do the job. Try a small area by spraying with a garden sprayer or something of the like. Let set about ten minutes then take a putty knife and gently see what if anything is lifting off. Some walls can be heavy with paste but not look like it when dry. Repeat this process a few feet of wall at a time, washing the walls with a good cellulouse sponge as you go; careful to keep the water changed so you are not smearing paste around without cleaning. Once you are through with the paste removal let the walls dry thoroughly then patch or repair any damage. Alot of times wallpaper is used over suspect walls because it is more forgiving than paint. Use a droplight from different angles if you have one and you'll see alot more. Repair anything you don't want to see after you paint by filling or sanding. Now you must decide on the proper primer. Gardz is a product used to repair damaged drywall when the paper facing has been exposed and is damaged and loose. It does not need to be used if this is not the case. An oil primer is best but there are good waterborne primers that will work. If you buy your paint and primer at the same time from a retailer that knows what they are doing they should be able to help you to decide depending on the richness of your color whether to tint the primer or if a gray primer is needed to reduce the amount of coats it takes to give you good coverage. And remember, use a good to high quality paint i.e Sherwin- Williams, pay a couple more bucks a gallon and make your job easier and get a better final result
ronnoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Gardz is a product used to repair damaged drywall when the paper facing has been exposed and is damaged and loose. It does not need to be used if this is not the case

Gardz does so much more than just this and is ideal after adhesive is removed.