Painting A 1950's Bathroom - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting a 1950's Bathroom

We are doing some "spruce up" in our bathroom. The house was built in the early '50s. I started with woodwork in a hideous green color and an 'fifties' flowered wallpaper in blue and green on two walls.

I steamed off the wallpaper yesterday and now I have a HUGE problem. The paper steamed off pretty easily with most of the paper backing coming right along with it. The huges gobs of brown paste were another story but enough steam and sponging got it off. However, in some areas of the walls, huge chunks are peeling off. It's a brownish color on one side and purple on the other. When these chunks peel off, there is 'original wall' underneath and I have no clue what this wall is made of. It's shiny white material with a glossy finish. It doesn't feel like drywall, doesn't feel like plaster. It almost feels like a 'whiteboard'. The chunks that have peeled off feel 'rubbery'.

I can only figure that purple paint was put on the wall, painted over with brown then papered over.

I have no clue how to proceed from here. I can't paint over the places where the chunks came off ... and are still COMING off.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Judi P

Advertisement

Judi P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I am kind of having a hard time picturing this.
If the purple is paint from a previous time i would sand or scrape the pealing parts, once that is all done and the peeling is fixed, i would get you some light weight sheetrock mud. I then would skim coat all areas where the paper did'nt come off good and the peeling areas. I then would lightly sand the the mud (careful not to sand out your skim coat) then i would give it anaother skim coat as needed.
Then prime and paint.
Again i am not sure if i am picturing this right.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

Ouch, sounds indeed like you had two coats of poorly-adhered paint underneath your wallpaper. Bathrooms are notoriously bad places for paint adhesion, which may be why wallpaper got put up to begin with.

Offhand, I can't think of a whole lot of sure-fire solutions to this, other than re-rocking the bathroom.

I think it would be an iffy endavor to repaper or skim-coat the room, as introducing more moisture to failing paint is certainly not going to help. You obviously can't paint over it as it is.

My best idea is to scrape all the loose crap, coat the rest with and Zinsser Peel-Sto; but I wouldn't get your hopes up. With luck one of the pros here will have some ideas. You could also try asking at a paint store. (Not Home Depot or Lowes.)

Certainly don't throw any paint up there until you have a plan.

SirWired

Last edited by sirwired; 08-09-2007 at 04:55 PM.
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Paint/Faux Artisan

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
I am kind of having a hard time picturing this.
If the purple is paint from a previous time i would sand or scrape the pealing parts, once that is all done and the peeling is fixed, i would get you some light weight sheetrock mud. I then would skim coat all areas where the paper did'nt come off good and the peeling areas. I then would lightly sand the the mud (careful not to sand out your skim coat) then i would give it anaother skim coat as needed.
Then prime and paint.
Again i am not sure if i am picturing this right.
Yup. Workaholic has the right idea. Scrape off what comes off patch/prime/paint.

Bay Area Painting Company
Da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote