Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Share |

Painting

We had a blow back from our furnace a year ago that we thought was not "so bad"..cleaned up the furnace room that was black,,, thinking wwe had contained the problem....now months later we are seeing the results of soot settled everywhere..(if we knew it was so bad we would have contacted ins. co.) now we are looking at repainting almost all rooms involved....where do we begin? do we need to prime 1st? Can we use a paint with primer in it? Do we have to wsh every wall down 1st? we have already done most we saw affected as it seemed "to show up"...HELP
gotchgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Painting

If you have sooty walls then washing is important. If you use the correct cleaner and the walls are in good shape paint-wise other than the soot, priming shouldn't be needed.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
gotchgal (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

Painting

The walls are basically virgin..one coat downstairs (our main concern) we have re-painted once upstairs with semi-gloss over flat..which maybe was advantagious for washing the soot as it appeared ...never thought the blow back would be so bad months later'
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

Painting

Yes, semigloss is advantageous for cleaning the soot for sure, however cured semigloss is not advantageous for paint adherence. After cleaning give it a light sanding to scuff the surface for better paint adherence for your paint coat. You can use a vibrating pad sander or even a hand pad sander. Sounds like a chore but actually goes fairly quickly. You can also put a hand pad sander on an extension pole.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #5

Painting

Thank you very much for the advice...Big chore ahead for sure! Took me years to paint when we 1st moved in over flat paint ,,to semi-gloss...now not so sure i made the right choice...but thank you for your advice _(computer will not let me delete these letters!!! -tj)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #6

Painting

It's a little unusual to paint walls semi-gloss. Sometimes people will do it in a room like a washroom, but that's a tiny room. I'm not aware of many rooms in general being painted in semi-gloss. It's mostly eggshell or satin, if not flat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
chrisn (08-02-2012), gotchgal (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #7

Painting

Well the house was painted in flat paint when we moved in and showed every hand smudge from the kids,etc...we went with semi-gloss for washable purposes...kept the color basically the same (antique white) just in a more "freindly cleaning" option.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchgal View Post
Well the house was painted in flat paint when we moved in and showed every hand smudge from the kids,etc...we went with semi-gloss for washable purposes...kept the color basically the same (antique white) just in a more "freindly cleaning" option.

box store, cheap paint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting

I think if you have soot damage you have to see how much will actually wash off. I have used Purple Power from the auto store with good results. Dirtex from the paint store should work. Make sure you rinse thoroughly.

I know soot is not like cigarette smoke but if traces remain you may need to prime with something like BIN or it could bleed through. Or the remaining smell could. Use with adequate ventilation. Turn your HVAC system off when priming with it or block any nearby air intakes.

I have mixed feelings about duct cleaning but in this instance you may have to find someone not too sharklike to clean your vents and system if it got into the HVAC. You might get a decent deal and someone actually doing something off season.

Just food for thought. I got so I could hire cleaning companies to come in and do a lot of the cleaning type painting prep work cheaper than I could offer clients and they had nifty equipment, all the cleaners, etc. You might see what a service would cost so you could be done with that part of things in one pass.

Last edited by user1007; 08-04-2012 at 05:57 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote