Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting

We have some newly installed Hardi Plank lap siding with rough cut grain pattern. I would like to know the brand of stain or paint to use on this material to make it look like cedar siding with a natural cedar finish / color.

I have seen it on a house on the Oregon coats and it looks totally awesome and holds up very well to this tough salt air inviroment with out the need to be repainted or stained evey year. Thanks Roger

Last edited by Roger Brockway; 08-17-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Roger Brockway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,220

Painting

I have never STAINED Hardi-Plank, but, I have painted it. It holds up like nobody's business. A lot of painters feel the factory primer is a bit suspect with this product and they usually re-prime it with a masonry primer. Then, 2 coats of finish and you're done for at least 8-10 years. I have some HP on my garage that's going on 6 years and looks as good as the day it was put on. As for stain, I would do some research. I would suspect a solid color latex stain would work just fine, but, since stain is designed to soak into wood, it may not be as effective on HP. If it works, you could buy solid stain in a cedar color and stain away.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote