Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
uva uvam videndo variafit

Share |

Painter's Tape

I've been doing some patching and touch up lately and I noticed that the painter's tape is pulling up the original paint. At first it happened in the bathroom and I thought maybe the constant exposure to humidity had softened the paint. Last night I applied the tape ion another area outside the bathroom, did the touch, removed the paint immediately, and it pulled the paint again.

The paint is an interior flat latex and has been on the wall for four years. The tape is scotch blue painter's tape and it is probably a year or more older. Could the age of the tape be a factor?

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #2

Painter's Tape

Is it a new house? Sometimes, when the tape pulls the paint it is because the walls weren't primed. Finish paint, generally, is not formulated to bond to sheetrock. A trick of some painters is to put finish right over bare sheetrock. I've worked for guys over the years who do it. Another reason could be that the walls weren't dusted after the sanding and the dust impeded the primer bond. If its an older house, probably one coat somewhere didn't properly bond to the last, maybe a flat over a sheen. Either way, stop taping.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #3

Painter's Tape

The house is four years old. It was primed (although it may have been primed with finish paint). I'm not sure if it was dusted. One more thing, the tape, which old, isn't brittle and messed up like old masking tape gets (which is why I thought it was still good).
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Painter's Tape

Which tape are you using? Try 3m #2080 blue tape, is not the regular blue tape, this one has an orange cardboard core. It's a lower tack, specific for fresh paint jobs, I know yours isn't new, but its worth a shot.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCpaint1 For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Painter's Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
Which tape are you using? Try 3m #2080 blue tape, is not the regular blue tape, this one has an orange cardboard core. It's a lower tack, specific for fresh paint jobs, I know yours isn't new, but its worth a shot.
Thanks - and it's good to know that. Some of the blue masking tape is a real bugger & sticks worse than regular masking tape.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #6

Painter's Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
Thanks. I'll try that tape in an inconspicuous area and see if it works.