Painter's Mistake - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Painter's Mistake

This is silly, but I wanted the opinion of some of you guys before I approach the painters in the morning.

So... We brought in some professional painters to my mom's house. Got two quotes, but went with the more expensive one because it was the guy that originally painted the house ten years ago. Super nice, super great. The instructions were very specific: the loft, entry way, all throughout the open living dining kitchen, and down the hall. There are several colored accent walls all over the place so "all the white" needs repainted.

Today was day one and the head guy, who we hired, came in the morning and then left his two workers to do the job. Ok, cool. It's a week job and this guy has a business to run. This afternoon I saw them starting to trim the brown area in the entry. I said stop stop stop! I found the can of paint in the garage and by the end of the day they fixed it. But... They also painted white over the green knee walls in the loft before we realized it. That paint we don't have any more of.

So obviously when he peeks in tomorrow we need to discuss this with him. The workers couldn't say much since we didn't have the paint on hand which I understand. But... We can liiiiive with white knee walls (even though the green was significantly better) so we were thinking of asking them to instead paint the master bathroom ceiling in exchange. It's about the same area and they wouldn't have to change paint. But, it is a new room that requires more cut in.

So my question, which took me forever to get to, is: is it appropriate to ask for this? At this point we are thinking make those walls green again or take care of the ceiling in exchange. It seems fair to us but I still wanted to get some opinions first. We really like this guy so we would like to solve this as amicably as possible.

Thanks!

Advertisement

BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painter's Mistake

If you have a relationship with the painter you can request changes. Just make sure you are both signing off on written changes to the written contract and agreeing on price trades or additions as you go or things can get out of hand and each of you may forget what was agreed to at the end of the week when the job is over and end up at odds with each other.

Obviously you need to have him stress to his workers what is to be painted and what is not. Knowing your other thread well, it concerns me since you are selling this house and painting it for that purpose? If the green knee wall added drama I would get new paint and have them fix that before worrying about a white ceiling (assuming it is) unless it is stained and in terrible shape. Potential buyers are not going to focus their attention on a ceiling unless it stands out for some reason---good or bad. On the other hand if the accent color of the knee wall was as nice as you say that could be subtle sales feature. As I remember, your Mom's house was quite spectacular.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 09-21-2012 at 02:50 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (09-21-2012), ToolSeeker (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

Painter's Mistake

Make um paint it back to green, forget the ceiling. It sounds like communication breakdown to me, get it in writing.

Last edited by chrisn; 09-21-2012 at 04:52 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ltd (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #4

Painter's Mistake

Thanks guys.

We're concerned about the bathroom ceiling because there was a patch and now it's not all one color.

The green was subtle, and while the white looks fine, now the yellow in the entrances to the bedroom areas looks funny. :-/

He hasn't come by yet but I believe he was going to today. I will talk to him when he does. Really I guess it doesn't matter which one gets done, just as long as one of them does.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 680

Painter's Mistake

I like it when there's going to be a lot of differant colors to have the customer put some post-it notes right on the wall or ceiling with the colors to be painted as well as one on the can, as well as having a written list of what's to be done signed by both partys.

It can be as simple as a single number on the post-it and one written on the can with a sharpee.

Simple, cheap, and far less time then having to repaint.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

Painter's Mistake

I guess we could have put up post-it's.

Funny thing is, they are using the same color it was originally. So it was, if it's white, paint it white. :D
Old 09-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #7

Painter's Mistake

I know my question has been answered, but since I love pictures I thought you guys might like 'em too.

The first pic is the bathroom patch, the second pic I was trying to show the knee wall and one of the bedroom entries, and the others just show what I mean by accent colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Painter's Mistake-image-1319773974.jpg   Painter's Mistake-image-677735998.jpg   Painter's Mistake-image-2145224234.jpg   Painter's Mistake-image-213545651.jpg   Painter's Mistake-image-748637789.jpg  

Old 09-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,296

Painter's Mistake

Very nice home! In the bathroom, it appears as if they aren't done with the ceiling just yet. The patch looks like they just sanded it and are getting ready to prime it.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Painter's Mistake

I actually have no idea what's going on there. It was patched two years ago and since I know next to nothing about patching drywall, I am not adding anything else to the to-do list. My mom said to paint it so paint it will get. :D

Advertisement