Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #1

Share |

Painted wallpaper takedown?

Hi all. As stated in previous threads, I recently got a new house. Well, new to me. I have a few questions about painting and retexturing the walls.

1. The kitchen, one of the bathrooms, and one of the bedrooms have wallpaper in them. Someone has painted over it. What is the best way to go about getting this down? I bought a little $50 wall paper steamer at Home Depot. It works pretty well on regular wallpaper that hasn't been painted on. I tried it in the entryway, where no one has painted and its slow going, but it works just fine imo. But what about wallpaper with paint on it? What do you do about that?

2. Once I finally get all the wallpaper off, of course I will have to retexture or skim coat the drywall. How much should I pay to have say.... 50 square feet skim coated? Or retexutred? Is there a big price difference between skim coating and retexturing?

3. Is what I'm suggesting here even the best course of action? What would you do if you were going to take down wallpaper? I don't think you can just paint the drywall itself. Can you? Please forgive my noob ignorance.
Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #2

Next to impossible to get painted wallpaper off the walls. That's why we regularly suggest to NEVER paint over wallpaper. Your steamer will never penetrate the old, hardened paint. About all you can try is to use a utility knife to cut the paper in several areas and then use a putty knife or anything that can slide into those cut areas and (dry) scrape the paper off. Unless someone else (ChrisN) has other suggestions?
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

Well if the steamer gets hot enough, wouldn't the heat go through and heat up that old glue? Isn't that the idea of the steamer? Or maybe not.

So if I can't get it down some kinda way, what has to be done? Can it be textured over with mud? Or do you basically have to do new drywall?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #4

Benny, definitely TRY the steamer. Sometimes you luck out and the steam/moisture does penetrate enough to reactivate the old paste. It's some tough sleddin'. In 34 years of doing this paint business, maybe once, maybe twice did some painted wallpaper come off with minimal effort.

If you texture over it you must seal it with an oil or shellac-based primer before applying texture mud. If you don't, you will get bubbles and then have to cut those out and patch them.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

This is an instance where you might want to consider putting 1/4 drywall over the mess you have. Or, depending the shape the walls are in, just biting the bullet and demolishing what you have and starting over with new surfaces.

Try first to see if you can saturate down to the paste and slip a drywall blade under it all. The heat from a steamer is really serving no purpose. What you want is to get the paste saturated.

Is it drywall or plaster under it all?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Read this, especially the last paragraph, this is what you will need to do. It is a messy, long drawn out process but it can be done. I do it all the time.

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-12-2013), Jmayspaint (06-12-2013), ToolSeeker (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
Read this, especially the last paragraph, this is what you will need to do. It is a messy, long drawn out process but it can be done. I do it all the time.

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
Yea, I don't see why the paper tiger wouldn't work through a few layers of paint. It might even help you to not damage the drywall with it.
Something like Bills orbital sander method probably wouldn't work as good on painted paper, but the Tiger? Why not
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-12-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
This is an instance where you might want to consider putting 1/4 drywall over the mess you have. Or, depending the shape the walls are in, just biting the bullet and demolishing what you have and starting over with new surfaces.

Try first to see if you can saturate down to the paste and slip a drywall blade under it all. The heat from a steamer is really serving no purpose. What you want is to get the paste saturated.

Is it drywall or plaster under it all?
Ok it sounds like a couple of you are talking about special tools. I already own the paper tiger, but thus far, have not needed it. The little $50 steamer I got from Lowes has amazed me with its ability to get old wallpaper down. But, I have yet to try it on the painted stuff. What is the specific tool, that you can use cut, yet not harm the drywall paper itself? I was thinking that there was some kind of knife or something, that you could use to somehow slice down in between the drywall paper, and the wall paper. Not sure though.

Last edited by Bennylava; 06-13-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #9

My only suggestion would be if you get a couple places started use HOT water and fabric softener and keep trying to increase the size of the opening. And why not try the paper tiger you are going to skim anyway. Something else you may try is a heat gun to loosen the paint then you may get down to the paper.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Update: The painted wallpaper comes down as easily as the non-painted wallpaper. Its not nearly as difficult as some people around here seem to think it is. Unless there are other circumstances that they have dealt with that I have not. Either that, or this little steamer from lowes kicks a lot of ass. Not sure which. Just my 2 cents

Afterthought:

Are you guys dealing with several layers of wallpaper? I'm only taking down a single layer.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #11

Benny with hundreds of years of experience among us pros here, we were just warning you of the POSSIBILITY of a difficult removal. I'm sure I speak for many of us on here when I say we are thrilled that it came off that easy. That rarely happens. Now you can tackle the rest of your project!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (06-14-2013), ToolSeeker (06-14-2013)