Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Share |
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If you have a gallon of Gardz, you have enough to do MANY bathrooms,+ a kitchen or 2
Lol. I do have another bathroom that has more painted on wallpaper....... To be dealt with at a MUCH later date.

izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,664
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by izzogirl View Post
Lol. I do have another bathroom that has more painted on wallpaper....... To be dealt with at a MUCH later date.

Pound the lid on tight, it will keep. Don't let it freeze.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Cool

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Pound the lid on tight, it will keep. Don't let it freeze.
Ok...that Gardz smells really nasty and the application is runny. I'm so glad it dries clear and is relatively easy to clean off the baseboards. I did end up using half of the gallon but I was really liberal with the application since I have alot of brown paper showing....did I mention that I massacred the walls getting that paper off? Lol. My bathroom is really two rooms, one is a sink/vanity area with the bathtub and toilet in a seperate room. Dont think I'll have any left over. Next step is light sanding on the rough spots and then the dreaded skim coating. I'm approaching this step by step in order to keep my sanity in check!
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by izzogirl View Post
Ok...that Gardz smells really nasty and the application is runny. I'm so glad it dries clear and is relatively easy to clean off the baseboards. I did end up using half of the gallon but I was really liberal with the application since I have alot of brown paper showing....did I mention that I massacred the walls getting that paper off? Lol. My bathroom is really two rooms, one is a sink/vanity area with the bathtub and toilet in a seperate room. Dont think I'll have any left over. Next step is light sanding on the rough spots and then the dreaded skim coating. I'm approaching this step by step in order to keep my sanity in check!
First time I used it, I hated it. I was absolutely sure that something was wrong with the gallon I had purchased.

Then I saw what it does...
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
First time I used it, I hated it. I was absolutely sure that something was wrong with the gallon I had purchased.

Then I saw what it does...
It's definitely not pleasant to work with I'm not looking forward to applying that final coat of Gardz. It's still on my arms even after a thorough scrubbing and my hair ughhhh!!
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
Member
 
cdaniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 377
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Sounds like you put it on too heavy.....lol....there is a learning curve to it.
__________________
Charlie Daniels painting and repair
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
Sounds like you put it on too heavy.....lol....there is a learning curve to it.
I probably did, I hope that won't be problematic later. I figured more is better. It was hard to judge due to the drywall being so scarred and uneven. I'll try to have a lighter touch on my next coat. Thanks for the tip!
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
Member
 
Matthewt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,760
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
wth are you talking about?
You recommended someone skip the primer all together in a bathroom. In a bathroom you are going to have high moisture/humidity. You need superior adhesion which you only get with a primer. Someone who has painted for a while and seen what kind of damage high humidity can do to paint would know that.
__________________
Latex Primer: Good for Drywall, that's about it.
Behr Paint: The plastic buckets are good, that's about it.

Last edited by BigJim; 07-22-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Some content removed
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,664
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
You recommended someone skip the primer all together in a bathroom. In a bathroom you are going to have high moisture/humidity. You need superior adhesion which you only get with a primer. Someone who has painted for a while and seen what kind of damage high humidity can do to paint would know that..
I think you are preaching to the deaf

Last edited by BigJim; 07-22-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Some content of quote removed
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by izzogirl View Post
I probably did, I hope that won't be problematic later. I figured more is better. It was hard to judge due to the drywall being so scarred and uneven. I'll try to have a lighter touch on my next coat. Thanks for the tip!
More is not always better with primer. All you want is adhesion, not coverage. The coverage comes with the paint.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #26
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


I love Gardz. It solves so many problems.

But it is tricky to work with because it is so thin. I use a 3/8 knapp cover ( I almost always use a 1/2 inch for everything else) and always start with an upstroke with very little pressure. Coat it lightly, then do it again if you want more penetration, rather than come on with a heavy load.

I will sometimes add about 1/4 volume of the paint- it usually isn't enough to make the Gardz ineffective, gives a little color to see where I am, and thickens it up just a bit.

Gardz is more of a vapor barrier/ sealer than it is about adhesion. And this is how you are using it-

Also because I use it ( and other stuff that stinks ) so much, I do buy an additive that helps with that. Not worth it for DIY, but the pros that roll with it often might want to google "Kabosh" ..
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #27
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,664
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


So, you have not tried the micro fiber cover yet?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
...always start with an upstroke with very little pressure. Coat it lightly, then do it again if you want more penetration, rather than come on with a heavy load.
Uhhh, ex squeeze me?


Sorry, I just watched an Austin Powers movie.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Sure- I am all about Arrowworthy.
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
More is not always better with primer. All you want is adhesion, not coverage. The coverage comes with the paint.
Thanks , I'll definitely remember that for future projects.
Hmmmm, hope the heavy coat will be okay and affect the finish.

izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing a Color Scheme For Your Room Micheal11 Interior Decorating 0 08-10-2012 10:03 PM
Removing painted grasscloth wallpaper mikeatuconn Painting 6 07-20-2012 02:37 PM
Living Room/Dining Room Combo tklysen Interior Decorating 2 11-29-2011 07:09 AM
One room cold- what pipes are what...help cciampi HVAC 24 02-20-2011 11:44 AM
Vents from boiler room RammsteinNicCage HVAC 3 03-11-2009 07:28 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.