Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


I just removed painted over wallpaper from my bathroom using a steamer and perforating tool and it really messed the drywall up. Its pretty bad with the brown paper showing in some areas. I'm pretty clueless about home improvements but I'm motivated and willing to work hard to get my walls ready to paint. I got the paste off of the walls and the walls are clean and dry. I'm unsure about how to proceed....I did buy a gallon of Guardz to seal the damaged drywall but do I sand the damaged areas prior to applying the Guardz? I'm also unsure whether to use latex or oil based primer. If anyone can offer help on exactly what steps and in what order that I need to do, i.e., sanding, priming, skimcoating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,912
Rewards Points: 2,120
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Step #1......use the "Search" feature and you will find dozens and dozens of posts on this exact topic. Lots of good information on many threads.

No sanding needed before using the Guardz. It will seal and prep the damaged drywall for repair. Skimming can be a difficult, messy, time consuming job so be prepared. Get some all purpose joint compound and some taping knives. And, again, use your "Search" feature to gather info about skim coating. It's very difficult to explain in one or two paragraphs as it involves many steps. Not trying to put you off, but, that really is the best approach to learning the process. floating over painted/textured drywall

Here's just one example^^^^^^^^^^


Last edited by Gymschu; 07-17-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,790
Rewards Points: 2,086
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Just to add a little, after the Gardz dries, then sand off all the high spots and proceed to skim coat and all that is involved there. After all is ready for primer, apply the Gardz again, it IS a primer after all.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Thanks for your help. I didn't realize that Guardz could be used as a primer as well as a sealer for the drywall. I thought i needed an additional primer after skim coating. I'm going to apply the Guardz tomorrow and read up on skim coating so I can tackle that this weekend. I hope the skim coating is not as bad as getting that wallpaper off. It took 3 days!
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,912
Rewards Points: 2,120
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Skim coating is ALMOST as bad as stripping wallpaper........ALMOST!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,000
Rewards Points: 2,200
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by izzogirl View Post
Thanks for your help. I didn't realize that Guardz could be used as a primer as well as a sealer for the drywall. I thought i needed an additional primer after skim coating. I'm going to apply the Guardz tomorrow and read up on skim coating so I can tackle that this weekend. I hope the skim coating is not as bad as getting that wallpaper off. It took 3 days!
Paint adheres to drywall and joint compound just fine. So in this case, a primer isn't needed for adherence. The purpose of drywall primer is to seal the drywall - drywall primer is drywall sealer.

Gardz is clear, so I'm assuming your finish paint will go on with full opacity, given the number of finish coats you're using. Other than that, Gardz is probably the best drywall primer you can use, and serves double duty as a problem solver for damaged drywall. It's not the cheapest of course.

It's spelled Gardz by the way.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,790
Rewards Points: 2,086
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Do not be confused with the above post. You still need to prime
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
ltd
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 546
Rewards Points: 504
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


sand the damaged dry wall after it has dried to smooth it out and remove nubs and clean up area .very easy to do takes no time at all .then spot prime bad spots with guardz. let dry. then prime over all with guardz. p/s im only talking sanding bad spots were the outer layer has ben removed and your down to the brown fuzzy layer
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Skim coating is ALMOST as bad as stripping wallpaper........ALMOST!
I'm so glad you said ALMOST...I'm hoping the worst is over with.
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Paint adheres to drywall and joint compound just fine. So in this case, a primer isn't needed for adherence. The purpose of drywall primer is to seal the drywall - drywall primer is drywall sealer.

Gardz is clear, so I'm assuming your finish paint will go on with full opacity, given the number of finish coats you're using. Other than that, Gardz is probably the best drywall primer you can use, and serves double duty as a problem solver for damaged drywall. It's not the cheapest of course.

It's spelled Gardz by the way.

This is great information.....My goal is the get the wall in the best shape possible prior to painting. I don't want to end up having to redo anything and want to use the best products I can find for the job. This is really a slow process since I can only work on it during the evening hours and weekend. I plan on doing 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Aura as my finish paint. I believe its formulated for bathrooms and high moisture areas. Thanks again for your help.
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
sand the damaged dry wall after it has dried to smooth it out and remove nubs and clean up area .very easy to do takes no time at all .then spot prime bad spots with guardz. let dry. then prime over all with guardz. p/s im only talking sanding bad spots were the outer layer has ben removed and your down to the brown fuzzy layer
That makes sense to smooth out and apply an extra layer of Gardz for sealing bad areas prior to priming all over. Sounds like that would be a small extra step to ensure that moisture doesn't seep in those bad areas.
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Do not be confused with the above post. You still need to prime
You mean prime with Gardz right?
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Member
 
cdaniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 377
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Yep....prime with Gardz after your skimming and sanding is done.You should have enough left over (unless your bath is really big).Don't take any shortcuts after doing all that hard work.
__________________
Charlie Daniels painting and repair
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
Yep....prime with Gardz after your skimming and sanding is done.You should have enough left over (unless your bath is really big).Don't take any shortcuts after doing all that hard work.
Thanks for clarifying. Bathroom is not very big. I feel more confident about the whole process and will take no shortcuts !
izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,790
Rewards Points: 2,086
Default

Painted over wallpaper in room


If you have a gallon of Gardz, you have enough to do MANY bathrooms,+ a kitchen or 2

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing a Color Scheme For Your Room Micheal11 Interior Decorating 0 08-10-2012 10:03 PM
Removing painted grasscloth wallpaper mikeatuconn Painting 6 07-20-2012 02:37 PM
Living Room/Dining Room Combo tklysen Interior Decorating 2 11-29-2011 07:09 AM
One room cold- what pipes are what...help cciampi HVAC 24 02-20-2011 11:44 AM
Vents from boiler room RammsteinNicCage HVAC 3 03-11-2009 07:28 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.