Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painted over wallpaper in room

I just removed painted over wallpaper from my bathroom using a steamer and perforating tool and it really messed the drywall up. Its pretty bad with the brown paper showing in some areas. I'm pretty clueless about home improvements but I'm motivated and willing to work hard to get my walls ready to paint. I got the paste off of the walls and the walls are clean and dry. I'm unsure about how to proceed....I did buy a gallon of Guardz to seal the damaged drywall but do I sand the damaged areas prior to applying the Guardz? I'm also unsure whether to use latex or oil based primer. If anyone can offer help on exactly what steps and in what order that I need to do, i.e., sanding, priming, skimcoating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

izzogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,120

Step #1......use the "Search" feature and you will find dozens and dozens of posts on this exact topic. Lots of good information on many threads.

No sanding needed before using the Guardz. It will seal and prep the damaged drywall for repair. Skimming can be a difficult, messy, time consuming job so be prepared. Get some all purpose joint compound and some taping knives. And, again, use your "Search" feature to gather info about skim coating. It's very difficult to explain in one or two paragraphs as it involves many steps. Not trying to put you off, but, that really is the best approach to learning the process. floating over painted/textured drywall

Here's just one example^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by Gymschu; 07-17-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

Just to add a little, after the Gardz dries, then sand off all the high spots and proceed to skim coat and all that is involved there. After all is ready for primer, apply the Gardz again, it IS a primer after all.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

Thanks for your help. I didn't realize that Guardz could be used as a primer as well as a sealer for the drywall. I thought i needed an additional primer after skim coating. I'm going to apply the Guardz tomorrow and read up on skim coating so I can tackle that this weekend. I hope the skim coating is not as bad as getting that wallpaper off. It took 3 days!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,120

Skim coating is ALMOST as bad as stripping wallpaper........ALMOST!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzogirl View Post
Thanks for your help. I didn't realize that Guardz could be used as a primer as well as a sealer for the drywall. I thought i needed an additional primer after skim coating. I'm going to apply the Guardz tomorrow and read up on skim coating so I can tackle that this weekend. I hope the skim coating is not as bad as getting that wallpaper off. It took 3 days!
Paint adheres to drywall and joint compound just fine. So in this case, a primer isn't needed for adherence. The purpose of drywall primer is to seal the drywall - drywall primer is drywall sealer.

Gardz is clear, so I'm assuming your finish paint will go on with full opacity, given the number of finish coats you're using. Other than that, Gardz is probably the best drywall primer you can use, and serves double duty as a problem solver for damaged drywall. It's not the cheapest of course.

It's spelled Gardz by the way.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Do not be confused with the above post. You still need to prime
Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

sand the damaged dry wall after it has dried to smooth it out and remove nubs and clean up area .very easy to do takes no time at all .then spot prime bad spots with guardz. let dry. then prime over all with guardz. p/s im only talking sanding bad spots were the outer layer has ben removed and your down to the brown fuzzy layer
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Skim coating is ALMOST as bad as stripping wallpaper........ALMOST!
I'm so glad you said ALMOST...I'm hoping the worst is over with.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Paint adheres to drywall and joint compound just fine. So in this case, a primer isn't needed for adherence. The purpose of drywall primer is to seal the drywall - drywall primer is drywall sealer.

Gardz is clear, so I'm assuming your finish paint will go on with full opacity, given the number of finish coats you're using. Other than that, Gardz is probably the best drywall primer you can use, and serves double duty as a problem solver for damaged drywall. It's not the cheapest of course.

It's spelled Gardz by the way.

This is great information.....My goal is the get the wall in the best shape possible prior to painting. I don't want to end up having to redo anything and want to use the best products I can find for the job. This is really a slow process since I can only work on it during the evening hours and weekend. I plan on doing 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Aura as my finish paint. I believe its formulated for bathrooms and high moisture areas. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
sand the damaged dry wall after it has dried to smooth it out and remove nubs and clean up area .very easy to do takes no time at all .then spot prime bad spots with guardz. let dry. then prime over all with guardz. p/s im only talking sanding bad spots were the outer layer has ben removed and your down to the brown fuzzy layer
That makes sense to smooth out and apply an extra layer of Gardz for sealing bad areas prior to priming all over. Sounds like that would be a small extra step to ensure that moisture doesn't seep in those bad areas.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Do not be confused with the above post. You still need to prime
You mean prime with Gardz right?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Yep....prime with Gardz after your skimming and sanding is done.You should have enough left over (unless your bath is really big).Don't take any shortcuts after doing all that hard work.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
Yep....prime with Gardz after your skimming and sanding is done.You should have enough left over (unless your bath is really big).Don't take any shortcuts after doing all that hard work.
Thanks for clarifying. Bathroom is not very big. I feel more confident about the whole process and will take no shortcuts !
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

If you have a gallon of Gardz, you have enough to do MANY bathrooms,+ a kitchen or 2