Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Painted Bathroom Tile??

ugh, so we are in the process of buying a home. Whoever owned the house before thought it would be a great idea to paint the bathroom tile. so they started with a purple primer. well, my guess is they were not happy to lose the house and did a few things to ruin parts on the home enough that the next buyer would have to completely replace.

my question...is there a way to get the primer off of the tile without removing the tile completely and starting over?

Lucy83c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Painted Bathroom Tile??

paint remover?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,086

Painted Bathroom Tile??

Do it right and start over, you see how well how paint holds up on tile, why do it agin?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painted Bathroom Tile??

Or they, themselves, might discolor it. Maybe you will get lucky and the tiles were nicely sealed and crappy paint went over it. I doubt it was a purple primer.

I guess one of the gel strippers and a fine wire (something like brass that will not oxidize?) or fiberglass brush might be worth a shot. The problem with chemical paint strippers is they might force the softened paint into the porosity of the tile. There may be an appropriate graffiti removal product.

An infrared stripper and said type of brush should do it but not sure it is worth renting one for just this.

A gentle brush attachment on a variable speed drill might be worth a shot. You want to be careful not to scratch up the tile. And if you build up enough heat from the friction you can melt the paint into the tile just like with a chemical stripper.

And then the big question? Is there going to be any there, there when done? If they tried to paint over the tile because they had weird tastes and the tile job is worth rescuing, go for it. If after you get all done there is no chance you are going to like the result, why not get on with retiling?

Sounds like a bitter owner that got foreclosed on? You are getting an inspection so you know what you are in for beyond cosmetic damage right?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painted Bathroom Tile??

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Do it right and start over, you see how well how paint holds up on tile, why do it agin?
I think I read your post differently than Joe did. I hope you are not asking how to paint over tile? Don't do it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, paint, tile