Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

Paintable caulk bubbling and "rising" under a professional spray?

I'm remodeling the kitchen and painting the cabinets white. After weeks I'm 95% done and had a contractor come and spray the cabinet doors and drawer fronts as I was not happy with how smooth my foam rolling came out. I spent days stripping the doors, priming and applying a small line of caulk inside each bezel of the doors to eliminate black gaps.

The contractor has finished 2 coats on the fronts and several of the doors have something strange going on. At spots along the caulked area, the caulk seems to have slightly bubbled and lifted or raised up along the edges. It's not along all of the caulk but in several spots. It's almost like the sprayed paint somehow made the caulk loose and not adhere to the door. It did not do this during the first coat at all.

DAP 3.0 paintable white caulk was used and I've used it several times before with no problems but that was always with rolling, not spraying. I've attached a photo below. Has anyone ever had this happen? More importantly, any suggestions for fixing or at least making it better? The only thing I can think of is carefully slicing off the bad areas with a razor, possibly recaulking them and brushing on a light coat or two of paint. It's unfortunate as they distract from the otherwise beautiful and smooth doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Paintable caulk bubbling and "rising" under a professional spray?-img_4532-large-.jpg  
shiftlft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

I don't think it's the caulk or the spray's fault.You have raised panel doors that are supposed to move a little and the panels have pushed the caulking out.It's going to be hard to touch up with a brush with sprayed doors.You may need to cut the caulk out and have the doors sprayed again.
joecaption (03-04-2013), ToolSeeker (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #3

If those panels can not float it can crack the panel.
Ever seen an old wooden door with cracked panels, it's because the paint has bonded the panel to the rails and stiles. As they expand and contracts it cracks the panel.
Better made door are built like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=1
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #4

I'm not sure it's due to movement. The doors were primed and caulked and sat for close to 2 weeks before being painted and there was no problem even after lots of physical movement during the 2 weeks. The problem still did not happen after the first sprayed coat or at all during the 24 hours between the 1st and 2nd coat, again during which the doors were shuffled and moved a bit. It only happened immediately following the 2nd coat when there was no physical movement at all. All of the doors immediately showed at least some of the problem along the caulk.

If it's the movement, wouldn't it be a coincidence that all of the doors would have the problem immediately following the 2nd coat before they were even physically touched?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #5

With regards to not caulking the seams, there will be severe black gaps that can be seen instead. It will look like spots were missed when it's just the tiny gaps between the panel and the frame. In my opinion that may look even worse than the caulk problem.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey shiftlft,

Homeowners often think painting cabinets will improve their appearance, but you just showed it can’t. Those panels in your doors MUST be able to float. In the process of allowing them to float you have small cracks between the panel and rails and stiles, a necessary evil. This is why you will not see a painted cabinet in the showroom without cracks. Manufactures have instead used the molded door and drawer. In short a plastic composition. The only way you could have halted that problem was to hire a painter experienced in using a bulk loading caulk gun with a fine nozzle. If you notice in your picture, the paint is flawed where the caulk was fingered and spread over the panel.

My recommendation is to scrape the caulk out, sand the edges smooth and refinish without recaulking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
Hey shiftlft,

Homeowners often think painting cabinets will improve their appearance, but you just showed it canít. Those panels in your doors MUST be able to float. In the process of allowing them to float you have small cracks between the panel and rails and stiles, a necessary evil. This is why you will not see a painted cabinet in the showroom without cracks. Manufactures have instead used the molded door and drawer. In short a plastic composition. The only way you could have halted that problem was to hire a painter experienced in using a bulk loading caulk gun with a fine nozzle. If you notice in your picture, the paint is flawed where the caulk was fingered and spread over the panel.

My recommendation is to scrape the caulk out, sand the edges smooth and refinish without recaulking.
I'm sorry, I can't agree with the statement about painting cabinets not improving appearance. The painted cabinets look fantastic in white and have dramatically changed the room, and the caulk ripping issue here is more of a nuisance. And I'm not the first person in the world to paint their cabinets either.

Unfortunately my original question was how this could have happened and I still struggle with the answers that all of the panel doors suddenly and individually have caulk problems immediately following the 2nd coat of paint even though they were not physically moved. Not after being caulked and primed and sitting for 2 weeks and not after the 1st coat of paint in which they were shuffled around, but immediately after the 2nd coat when they were sprayed and left to sit for hours.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #8

Well you have two choises, remove the caulking sand and finish the painting so you can rehang the doors.
Or spend days trying to figure out why it happened and have no doors.
The facts will not change, there should not have been caulking in that area, and there was to much used anyway.
The idea of caulking is to fill a gap, no need for it to all over the face of the doors.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Well you have two choises, remove the caulking sand and finish the painting so you can rehang the doors.
Or spend days trying to figure out why it happened and have no doors.
The facts will not change, there should not have been caulking in that area, and there was to much used anyway.
The idea of caulking is to fill a gap, no need for it to all over the face of the doors.
Ouch, this place is rough. Then again so is every Internet forum, unfortunately.

The picture may be misleading if you believe there is caulk all over the face of the door. I used an extremely small amount of caulk in just the gap. I used such a small bead that I sanded off the tip of the caulk tube (not cut) and carefully smoothed it into the gap with a wet finger. The picture is very zoomed in so it may seem like the caulk is on the face but it is not.

So to recap what I've been told on here far:

1) No one should paint any cabinets. They do not improve the appearance.
2) If one does paint cabinets, no caulk should be used and instead should live with the black gaps on the seams.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
handpaintedbysteve.com

Shiftlf,
Every project was manufactured to be finished in a particular way using a particular wood. If the cabinets were stained or finished using a natural color finish, then the doors can be made from oak, ash or other open grained wood species. What you are trying to do is to take a door that was made to be stained and finish it as painted and expect it to look like a door made of maple, poplar or birch. IT CAN’T BE DONE and be expected to look the same. Painting a wall using a matte finish is far more forgiving than a wall painted using a semi-gloss finish. Each wall must be prepped differently. Just as maple wood should be colored using a dye rather than an oil stain.

Oh yes watching HGTV showing how it is so easy to paint cabinets and never showing a close up of the doors doesn’t make it any more attractive than yours. Now that you have done it, you see the close up. What they did on HGTV probably looked worse than yours but you’ll never know.

If you look closely at the picture, it shows the caulk where it has been fingered onto the surface of the panel and that is where the problem begins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftlft View Post
Ouch, this place is rough. Then again so is every Internet forum, unfortunately.

The picture may be misleading if you believe there is caulk all over the face of the door. I used an extremely small amount of caulk in just the gap. I used such a small bead that I sanded off the tip of the caulk tube (not cut) and carefully smoothed it into the gap with a wet finger. The picture is very zoomed in so it may seem like the caulk is on the face but it is not.

So to recap what I've been told on here far:

1) No one should paint any cabinets. They do not improve the appearance.
2) If one does paint cabinets, no caulk should be used and instead should live with the black gaps on the seams.
Cabinets can be painted with the correct prep.Caulking floating panels is not the correct prep.They are built that way for a reason.Wood expands and contracts with humidity,temperature and lots of variables.Your doors are made up of 5 separate pieces of wood each expanding/contracting individually.That's why the caulk moved, the wood moved.You don't need caulk on the panels.If you can't live with the cracks, you need new doors made of MDF that have the same shape as the raised panel doors.You came here and asked a question and got the answer.Now you won't accept the answer.We can't help you.

Last edited by cdaniels; 03-04-2013 at 04:40 PM.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
Cabinets can be painted with the correct prep.Caulking floating panels is not the correct prep.They are built that way for a reason.Wood expands and contracts with humidity,temperature and lots of variables.Your doors are made up of 5 separate pieces of wood each expanding/contracting individually.That's why the caulk moved, the wood moved.You don't need caulk on the panels.If you can't live with the cracks, you need new doors made of MDF that have the same shape as the raised panel doors.
All of the doors expanded and contracted in the 2 hours after they were painted with the 2nd coat of paint? They didn't expand during the 2 weeks after being primed and caulked, and they didn't expand in the 24 hours after the 1st coat, but they all expanded at the same time immediately following the 2nd coat?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
handpaintedbysteve.com

After all your comments and professionals here answering your questions, I get the distinct impression that you’re implying that somehow it was the painter’s fault or the paint he used to spray the doors that is causing your problem. Right or Wrong? Has he been paid for his efforts?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #14

Not at all, he did a great job. I just am having a problem understanding how it expanded and did this as soon as the second coat was applied.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #15

That's not from expansion. I noticed no one asked you what type of finish was applied right over top of that caulk. It looks like a solvent based and I'm betting that if all this failure occurred in a twenty four hour period during finishing and immediately after the second coat, the finish melted the edge and it curled. First lesson, don't use DAP caulk. Take a razor blade and gingerly cut away just the peeled section, or as much as you need to. You'll probably need to recaulk very lightly to smooth the created edge. Let it cure for a day or so. Take a very small brush and some longer drying oil primer and go over the caulk. Let that cure for a day or two. Try, try to lay some thinned out finish over that. Use the finish the sprayer had left over, that's probably fairly juiced. If this fails, start over.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
shiftlft (03-05-2013)