Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

Share |

paint wont' stick

We have a very old farmhouse - we have redone most rooms. The wals are the old plaster - not horse hair - a bit newer - but cracks easily - we painted 2 years ago - Now one wall and window frame won't hold the paint. We primed it first with kilz the used good quality paint. Now it is all coming off. Primer and all. right down to the bare wall and wood. Could we have a fungus or mold in the wood or wall? What do I do to keep the paint on the wall. I don't see the mold or fungus but it is very old wood and plaster.

melonsforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

paint wont' stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonsforyou View Post
We have a very old farmhouse - we have redone most rooms. The wals are the old plaster - not horse hair - a bit newer - but cracks easily - we painted 2 years ago - Now one wall and window frame won't hold the paint. We primed it first with kilz the used good quality paint. Now it is all coming off. Primer and all. right down to the bare wall and wood. Could we have a fungus or mold in the wood or wall? What do I do to keep the paint on the wall. I don't see the mold or fungus but it is very old wood and plaster.
So, you are saying your plaster is newer? If so, there is your issue. How long did you wait before painting the newer plaster? Back in the day you would have had to wait a year before even touching paint to plaster due to the acididity (lime) in the plaster. Even now, with advanced paint and newer plaster compounds you need to wait at least one week. At that you would have to use a paint that is made specifically for masonary/plaster because the lime needs time to dry out.
I'm not certain why it would be peeling from the window frame. Possibly a water issue. We had bad ice storms here two years ago and outside my office window a huge icicle formed. When it melted all of my paint peeled from the window frames.....right down to the bare wood.

Last edited by BraniksPainting; 01-31-2012 at 03:21 PM.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #3

paint wont' stick

Look on the outside wall for any breaches that may be allowing moisture in from the outside. Is the house stone? Branik missed your point about the age of the plaster, just a bit newer--than horse-hair plaster!, lol, but he got the analysis correct. Generally, failure down to the substrate is moisture related. I'd venture to bet that you have a lot of moisture transfer outside to in. It could be from a single breach, like an uncaulked window frame or transferring through the wall, or both. How widespread, or limited, is it?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-01-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

paint wont' stick

When you have solved the moisture issue, prime the walls with Zinsser GARDZ primer. Unlike KILZ, this will penetrate and tie down anything that may be loose. Kilz is for killing stains. Rapid-Dry primers flash off quickly and will not penetrate a surface very well which, I think would be called for in your case.

Prime the wood with a high-quality enamel undercoater before painting.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

paint wont' stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonsforyou View Post
Hi Melons,

I agree with Mr Paint, I don't think Kilz (water or oil based) was necessarily the best primer...especially for the plaster walls. My guess is that your plaster is very hard and slick, which is typical of old plaster. Before re-priming, etch the exposed plaster with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water to create a profile for better adhesion of the primer...be sure to rinse with clean water before priming. Zinsser's Gardz Sealer would work well on plaster and actually may strengthen any crumbling plaster.

You really didn't give much info about the wood, but if it's dry and a little gray, you're going to do better by priming with a slower drying oil based primer. I hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 01-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote