Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #1

Share |

Paint at Walmart?

Has anyone purchased interior paint at Walmart? Thoughts?

youngpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint at Walmart?

You should get in the habit of buying paint at a real paint store. You will be much happier.

Ask for discounts, watch for coupons and downgrade to contractor or lower grades of paint store paint if you must for budget reasons. You will still be getting better paint at a paint store and the employees will most likely actually be able to help answer your questions. I venture that nobody in your local WalMart has ever worked as a pro painter or in a real paint store. In fact you will probably have to wait for a time while someone that knows how to work the mixing equipment is taken from stocking fishing lures or women's underwear.

I will offer one exception. If money is really tight and you have something like a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you? Pro painters often drop of really nice buckets of primers and paints that ended up extras on large jobs. They will likely be light neutral colors but will at least provide you with a nice coat of fresh paint or provide you with a needed primer coat.

Last edited by user1007; 10-30-2012 at 06:35 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

Paint at Walmart?

I just noticed that they sell Glidden paint when I was there the other day. Is Glidden not a good brand? I thought it was.
youngpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint at Walmart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpainter View Post
I just noticed that they sell Glidden paint when I was there the other day. Is Glidden not a good brand? I thought it was.
The Glidden pro lines are supposedly superb paint. The line is owned by an international coatings company that has a great reputation, especially in Europe. The box store products are not the same. Pittsburgh pro lines are great paint. The crap Menard's sells under the same name is not worth putting into cans. You know the other box store brand names to be avoided. Dutch Boy is Sherwin Williams box store brand. I suspect Ben was to be Benjamin Moore's box store brand as it is priced retail to compete.

Buy real paint. You will not be sorry. Get to know your paint store and they will let you know about discounts and coupons. Sherwin Williams has a sale coming up for 40-50% off which will put really nice paint at box store prices.

Last edited by user1007; 10-30-2012 at 06:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #5

Paint at Walmart?

Yes I have used it inter. it was for a family member. The coverage was really bad, even after a second coat. WalMart now is selling Kilz paint I have not used it but considering what is primer is now I don"t want to.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #6

Paint at Walmart?

I go to Home Depot for my paint. I get Behr brand been happy with it with all the painting I've done
shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #7

Paint at Walmart?

Wal Mart carries Color Place, Better Homes and Garden, and Brilliance, all made by Akzo Nobel (Glidden is the label in WM) Color Place is the entry level, BH & G better, Brilliance is the best. As has been pointed out here, the assistance in the paint department may be inconsistent.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #8

Paint at Walmart?

The only big box type paint I've ever been really happy with is Valspar (at Lowe's). Anything you get at WalMart is going to be... less than ideal. You get what you pay for, as they say.

And never trust brand names at places like WalMart, they're all but meaningless.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

Paint at Walmart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpainter View Post
has anyone purchased interior paint at walmart? Thoughts?

its pure crap.....go to home depot
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint at Walmart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgsx View Post
its pure crap.....go to home depot
And get Behrly paint at all there. It is crap too.

Go to a paint store.

And remember none of the box stores give anything back to the communities in which they operate. They eliminate good paying jobs with minimum wage replacements and hours just under full time so they do not have to pay family health benefits. You pick up the slack in public health care costs. They cut deals for property tax breaks so do not pay the full amount you do for parks, fire, police, EMS, 911. You pick up the slack. The independent paint and hardware stores are still the folks sponsoring little league and girls dance teams. The box stores sponsor NASCAR. The box stores sell lots of crappy non US made goods. We could use the business at home?

So, you need to ask yourself if you are really paying a high price for low cost.

Last edited by user1007; 11-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #11

Paint at Walmart?

I doubt if he is considering walmart paint, he will spend the $ at a paint store. Behr paint with primer is really not bad.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, Home Depot does plenty for the community where they can, you think Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore are any better?? Your thought process is a joke
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Paint at Walmart?

Quote:
I doubt if he is considering walmart paint, he will spend the $ at a paint store. Behr paint with primer is really not bad.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, Home Depot does plenty for the community where they can, you think Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore are any better?? Your thought process is a joke

and you apparently are not a painter or you would know there is no such thing
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Newbie Bill

Paint at Walmart?

Quote:
Your thought process is a joke
Nice attitude....

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint at Walmart?

Quote:

I know so. I worked with a community in Western Iowa trying to recover from all its retail business being forced out of business by box stores. One project was to beautify the downtown and the folks just didn't have the money to accomplish all on their own.

We approached, Blowe's, Home Desperate, WalMart and Menard's. We were told all gifts and help would need to come from corporate. None ever did.

Sherwin Williams stepped up to the plate and donated a good amount of paint to help the community out.

Where I lived last, WalMart was exempted from any local property taxes on its first of five stores (for 250K people) for a period of years. When it came time to pay taxes, they built a new store outside the city limits which meant police and fire had to be stretched to service the store. They abandoned the original store and refused to let another retailer lease it. They never did pay so much as $1 in taxes. The public health system load increased 5x thanks to WalMart alone.

The adjoining community had the common sense not to let Menard's build a second store without them building neighboring and affordable housing. They certainly did not volunteer to do so on their own.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

Paint at Walmart?

Quote:

Speaking of jokes your knowledge of paint certainly seems to qualify.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback, painting, walmart