Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint VOC and Misplaced Paranoia

This is a duplicate post but it is important people understand the paranoia surrounding the paint films left in their homes. I am not saying solvent based paints are not high in VOCs but not once dry? There are far worse things in your home to worry about....

You know folks if you google, dried paint doesn't even make it to most household lists of things that outgas VOCs to the indoor environment. What does? Cosmetics, nail polish and nail polish remover, hair spray, Johnson's baby oil, pine and citrus cleaner, AC system refrigerants, furniture, carpet and drapery fabrics and the dyes in them and treatment for spills and fire proofing on them, household insectisides, insulation materials, plastics and vinyls (like laminiate flooring) and get this---the solvents from those dry cleaned clothes are really nasty. You should really leave yours outside before you begin to worry about paint on your walls!!!

I am not saying using low VOC paints is not a great idea but before you get all paranoid about dried paint look at all the other crap in your home outgassing horrible stuff. Last thing I would worry about is dried paint. Sure, apply the low VOC stuff if worried about what it does while it dries.

Just a suggestion? Make sure your home is well ventilated. The downside to wrapping homes in Tyvek and making them air tight from an insulation standpoint is we don't let them breathe anymore. The interiors get sick. Even cars have flow through ventilation that is not yet designed into as many homes as it should be.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-24-2012), kkeith (04-26-2012), pucks101 (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,034

The pros outweigh any cons when you wrap your house. The "breathing" people like to think is helping thier house is basicly mixing cold and warm air which creates moisture. Creating moisture inside your walls leads to mold which will really bring on the ills.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

The HVAC experts can better comment, but I think that houses now require a certain amount of 'fresh' air brought in from outside. They have ERVs and other devices that are used to meet the ashrae suggestions for indoor air quality. I know at work our HVAC gear has ducts and fans that purposely bring in outside air and run it through the system.

I don't know how true it is, but I have heard that cured finishes are non-toxic. I would have to research that, but I have heard or read it in more than one place.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote