Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Which paint to use?

Im going to be painting my bedroom in a few weeks, and am trying to figure out what to use. I hate to sound cheap, but I would like to keep this on a budget, and still get good results. I'de rather not pay $40-$50 a gallon for paint, since I don't really have the extra money to burn. I was all set on Behr, paint and had my colors picked out and everything, then I started searching and realized that most people say Behr is crap. So my question is what brand would you recommend? Im going to be painting over very light yellow walls (I think their satin, or maybe semi-glass), with a light gray(flat), and a sort of steel blue(flat), and painting the trim semi-gloss white (it is already white semi-gloss.)

Is there any brand of paint from Home Depot or Lowes that is not crap? I also noticed a few people recommend Ace Hardware's own brand, is it any good? Does BM, or SW make a decent paint that isn't $50 a gallon?

todd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Which paint to use?

There is no box store paint that is not crap. Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams both sell contractor grades that are still better. The ones I use most are Super Spec (Ben Moore) and Pro Mar (Sherwin Williams) when the situation or budget warrants. I have no qualms about using either although most of my residential clients opt for the top of the line unless just repainting to sell the house. The contractor grades take color well and go on nicely. With two coats you will be happy with it in a bedroom until you tire of the color scheme. It may not have the washability and colorfastness if the top of the line paints but this may never be an issue for you.

http://www.paintersource.com/Product...Explained.html

I know Super Spec best because I use Ben Moore products more but suspect the following are true of SW's Pro Mar too. SS (being sold now as "Ben?" only comes in gallons and does not have as many sheen options as other Ben Moore brands (it does come in flat, satin/eggshell and semi-gloss though). So if you only need trim paint for one bedroom you might be better off buying a quart of a higher end line as it will still be cheaper than a whole gallon.

Don't skimp on your prep work regardless of what paint you use. Make sure to de-gloss any semi gloss surfaces. Patch and at least spot prime. Clean the walls and trim. Caulk any spaces between trim and walls.

Use decent tools!

Last edited by user1007; 02-24-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 4

Which paint to use?

Just to add to your choices,if you have a Duron or Pittsburgh paint store near you, they are also better than anything in the big box places.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Which paint to use?

Thanks for the reply sdsester!

A few more questions...... About how much would you expect a gallon of Super Spec (Ben) to cost? I'de be buying it at the closest Ace Hardware if that makes a difference. Also out of curiosity about how much would a gallon of Regal cost if I were to upgrade? One last question.... about how many square feet would 1 gallon cover, assuming 2 coats?

EDIT: One last question, how would you recommend I "de-gloss" the surface?

I looked on Ben Moore's website, and a gallon of Ben online is like $34 is that about what it would cost in store?

Last edited by todd2000; 02-24-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #5

Which paint to use?

Look, pay now or pay later...what would you want: spend $10 more a gallon now or wait till the time comes when you decide to repaint sooner than you had expected?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #6

Which paint to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Look, pay now or pay later...what would you want: spend $10 more a gallon now or wait till the time comes when you decide to repaint sooner than you had expected?
Ok relax! I havent decided yet, either way Im probably not going to go with anything from Lowes or Home Depot. I'll probably go with SW since there is a store in town. How is their Classic 99 paint? I didn't see any "Pro Mar" online or in the store.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #7

Which paint to use?

They typicly won't display thier ProMar as it is contractor grade and the cans are kinda boring to look at.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #8

Which paint to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
They typicly won't display thier ProMar as it is contractor grade and the cans are kinda boring to look at.
Well I didn't see any mention of it on their website either. Either way, is ProMar better or worse then Classic 99? Im willing to pay for the Classic 99, but out of curiosity is ProMar cheaper?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #9

Which paint to use?

Promar 200 and Classic 99 are close in quality. No, Promar is not cheaper than Classic 99. Promar is targeted to contractors.

Last edited by paintpimp; 02-24-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: forgot sentence
paintpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #10

Which paint to use?

Try Design Basics from SWP, Flat for 22 Satin for 24, I do like Promar better but you never can tell if you will get it for a "contractor" price at a SW or not. Even Sw's "cheap stuff" blows away big box crap
PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #11

Which paint to use?

Ok so I'll probably go with classic 99, and just have them match the colors that I picked out from Behr. If I understood the guy correctly they have most of the competetiors color codes in their computer for easier/more accurate color matching?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 4

Which paint to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2000 View Post
Ok so I'll probably go with classic 99, and just have them match the colors that I picked out from Behr. If I understood the guy correctly they have most of the competetiors color codes in their computer for easier/more accurate color matching?

Yes, they should
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #13
the Musigician

Which paint to use?

You might luck out and save big $$$ like I did if you try Habitat for Humanity ReStore first.
I found brand new gallons of BM paint (s/g white) for $2.00 each!
I took them to BM and had them tint them, they didn't even charge me!
Ya never know unless you try! MY job cost me $8.00 to do, not $200.00!!!

I've also had good luck with Big Lots paint for 5 and 6 $ a gallon....

DM
Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #14

Which paint to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
You might luck out and save big $$$ like I did if you try Habitat for Humanity ReStore first.
I found brand new gallons of BM paint (s/g white) for $2.00 each!
I took them to BM and had them tint them, they didn't even charge me!
Ya never know unless you try! MY job cost me $8.00 to do, not $200.00!!!

I've also had good luck with Big Lots paint for 5 and 6 $ a gallon....

DM
If I get down to Greensboro before I am ready to paint, I will try Habitat, maybe I'll get lucky. When you say "Big Lots paint" Do you mean BM paint at Big Lots, or Big Lots own brand of paint?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
the Musigician

Which paint to use?

I've seen different paints at Big Lots...
Some cans have their price/name printed right on the label, some are other brands, but they're always cheaper....
I've actually had ok success with theirs... whoever makes it.

DM