Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #1

Share |

which paint to use

We just bought our first home and need to repaint. It has been primed with Behr and Kilz before I got the contractors to hold off on the painting while I decide on which brand. The coverage is now a solid white, trim and all. So I think we are good there.

My confusion now is in which brand to use. I thought to go to Mythic, Yolo, Safecoat, or another such nontoxic (although nontoxic means ok to ingest and they all carry warnings not to ingest or get in eyes so not sure what they mean by nontoxic???). But how well do they work, last, and is there really a health concern compared to other paints. I am in CA and I learned here all the paints have to have very low VOC levels. So what is the real difference. I have a child and will likely have another. But does the paint matter from a health perspective?

Also we will not be in the house for a good month after it is painted. So immediate smell and off gassing is not a concern.

I will use a medium to light yellow and a lighter yellow with white trim. So not dark colors or ones that have bright pigments. The rooms all have mass amounts of sunlight so fading is a concern for me.

Please, if anyone can help me understand the health concerns. And give an idea whether these paints are worth it in terms of washability, color not fading, ease of use, and longevity of the product. I don't want to repaint for 30 years if possible. It is too much of a pain. But I want a paint that will allow me to reasonably remove smudges, not fade, and allow me to use it without having to be an expert painter.

Thank you for your help! Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by reallyconfused; 10-05-2009 at 08:27 AM.
reallyconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

which paint to use

Any paint sold in California will work,I would think. People have been living with paint on the walls darn near forever with no health concerns. Go to a real paint store and ask. Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, are good ones. Avoid the Behr and Kilz or anything from the big box places.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #3

which paint to use

I used Mythic for a project and it worked well. I thought it would be runny and hard to work with but it wasn't a problem. It looks like the colors are mostly 'soft', or sorta pastel. I haven't seen any non-toxic stuff with bright colors, but I don't really keep up with this stuff much.

I think most cured finishes are non-toxic. That is, just don't eat them or inhale the particulate when sanding.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

which paint to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Any paint sold in California will work,I would think. People have been living with paint on the walls darn near forever with no health concerns. Go to a real paint store and ask. Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, are good ones. Avoid the Behr and Kilz or anything from the big box places.
Ditto this! Especially the paint store part of it! The washability you seek is only going to be found in quality paint and you will only find that at a real paint store.

Most modern latex paints have low VOCs and all the major lines have no VOC products now---some of the new nanotechnology paints sound especially promising but are not mainstream marketed yet. The truth of the matter is that there are a lot more things outgassing worse than the paint in your house if you really want to get overly paranoid. IMO sealing houses up to tight is the fastest way we make them sick. I am not saying one should not seek energy efficiency and all that but houses need fresh air through them too! Open a window once in awhile. Add some fresh air intake and flow through ventilation options to HVAC and don't just recycle indoor air.

Last edited by user1007; 10-05-2009 at 08:29 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #5

which paint to use

thanks for the info. I am trying not to get paranoid which is why I am trying to do my research. I also hate wasting money and time on worthless products that are more marketing than substance.

I also agree with airing out homes. I have windows open as much as possible. Every room has at least 2 windows so I can get some sort of draft. Which is another reason I am not sure of all the off-gassing concerns. And since we didn't build the home. It was built in the early 1990s. Who knows how much paint or what is in it. So I really don't want to seal it off.

Of the paint store brands, I have a Dunn Edwards (not one you all listed) and a Catalina Paints that sells Benjamin Moore. Sherwin Williams is not close but I can get to one if that is the best paint to use.

My other issue is what is a correct price to pay. I have managed to get Mythic, Yolo, etc to around $35 to $40 a gallon. I called for the Benjamin Moore and they told me their best is Aura but it is $50 a gallon!!! So now I am more confused since it is cost effective to do a boutique paint versus the bigger brand.

Help!!! Please!!!

And the brands seem to have so many paint lines I don't know which way to look. More confused than ever now! Before it was cost keeping me form the green paints. But now it is more expensive to not use one (unless quality isn't there)???
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

which paint to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyconfused View Post
My other issue is what is a correct price to pay. I have managed to get Mythic, Yolo, etc to around $35 to $40 a gallon. I called for the Benjamin Moore and they told me their best is Aura but it is $50 a gallon!!! So now I am more confused since it is cost effective to do a boutique paint versus the bigger brand.

Help!!! Please!!!

And the brands seem to have so many paint lines I don't know which way to look. More confused than ever now! Before it was cost keeping me form the green paints. But now it is more expensive to not use one (unless quality isn't there)???
Benjamin Moore is my favored brand followed by Sherwin Williams and MAB (now a SW company but still with separate stores). The people in the SW stores tend to be snarly so I avoid them---not the paint. There is also a Pittsburgh and Porter store but I don't use them. There are no boutique brand stores or anything like Yolo.

I know just a bit about Yolo but not enough to comment. It is a boutique paint and color scheme set out of Portland OR or somewhere in the Pacific Northwest as I remember?

Paint price is effected by the chemistry of the binders, resins and so forth. Then some times for consumer brands, $10-15/gallon is added to pay for a pretty metallic surface or gorgeous picture on the can.

For latex something with 100 percent acrylic is going to give you the most colorfastness, washability, sheen options and so forth. Paints with more vinyls in the finish will cost less. You want a nice suspension for whatever you get so it all goes on the wall easily and dry nicely.

Aura is new to the Benjamin Moore line and features really nice color options. It is good stuff. Worth $50/gallon? I suspect some of the cost is to pay for marketing hype and stores having to redo their color mixing equipment to accommodate it.

The paint company websites are a good source of information about paint differences.

To be honest, I use a lot of the contractor grade of Benjamin Moore (and Sherwin Williams) which is still better than box store brands. No pretty packaging though. It will save you about $10-15 gallon but comes in more limited sheen options and is only available in gallons on up. For rooms you are not going to wash on a regular basis you may find it fits your needs nicely.

Don't be afraid to ask your paint store for a discount. Most will do what they can to hold your business and keep you out of a box store! The major brands also seem to offer regular sales with 25 percent or so right off the top so if you can wait it will be worth it. This also suggests there is a fair margin in the paint that should be negotiable at any time.

Your painting contractor should also be able to negotiate a discount. Don't cut him or her off at the knees though if the markup charged is part of what he needs to make money on your job. Expect to pay retail and consider anything better than that a gift.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #7

which paint to use

Thank you!

I will go to the Catalina Paints Store and ask about BM. Over the phone they weren't willing to negotiate and told me the $50 is contractor price. I will ask about other types in BM and see what I can work out.

That store also has other brands so will check them out and see if anything has quality at a decent price.

What do you think about Dunn Edwards? Many of the contractors here use it. The store manager seemed more willing to negotiate due to AAA discount - $28 for flat and $38 for semi and eggshell. But then again that is the same as the Mythic, Yolo, etc would cost me.

So for the same price do I go for a more health-conscious brand?

And if so am I sacrificing quality?

Sorry for repeated questions - as is obvious I am totally confused by paint since there are so many options and I cant' seem to find one better than the other in all categories. This is as bad as buying a mattress!

Oh and I don't have a painting contractor per se. I have my handyman who will charge me labor and it is a lot less than the contractors I had give me bids. So he doesn't have a preference since he uses all kinds of paint. And he doesn't buy enough of one brand to get discounts.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

which paint to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyconfused View Post
What do you think about Dunn Edwards? Many of the contractors here use it. The store manager seemed more willing to negotiate due to AAA discount - $28 for flat and $38 for semi and eggshell. But then again that is the same as the Mythic, Yolo, etc would cost me.

So for the same price do I go for a more health-conscious brand?

And if so am I sacrificing quality?
Stay away from Valspar Mystic. Dunn Edwards is not sold in my area so I cannot help you. As for going with a health conscious brand and sacrificing quality? I am not sure you will be. Just don't fall for hype. If VOCs are the concern ask to see what they are for whatever you buy and ask what is left when all is dry. The websites should have this info.

The Benjamin Moore contractor line will be in your price range.

Last edited by user1007; 10-05-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Remodeler

which paint to use

Another vote here for Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams. I just used Sherwin Williams in my house.

As far as washability, go with an eggshell or satin finish. They are easier to clean then flat paint. I prefer eggshell.

For your sunlight concern, consider putting a UV film on the windows as a cheap and easy way to block some of the UV light. You can also do solar shades, but they are more costly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
residential
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #10

which paint to use

There is really no need to go with Aura from BM or Duration from SW. The mid-level contractor paint is fine. We use it all the time and actually perfer it. It goes on easy and quick which will help avoid flashing. Plan on 2 coats if you are doing any kind of color change.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

which paint to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Stay away from Valspar Mystic. Dunn Edwards is not sold in my area so I cannot help you. As for going with a health conscious brand and sacrificing quality? I am not sure you will be. Just don't fall for hype. If VOCs are the concern ask to see what they are for whatever you buy and ask what is left when all is dry. The websites should have this info.

The Ben Moore contractor line will be in your price range.
Not sure what you mean, stay away from Valspare for sure but MYTHIC paint is supposed to be OK. I have not used it but have heard about it.

http://www.mythicpaint.com/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #12

which paint to use

Acrylic paints are about as toxic as detergent, so that means you can use them but dont drink them.
the paint smell will be negligible.
Water based enamels are wayyyyyy better than oil based paints. they don;t smelll as bad and they don't go yellow with age and they are still as hard wearing
nerd_flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #13

which paint to use

THANK YOU all so very much! I went with Dunn Edwards and it is fantastic. Had no idea they were green before it was fashionable. Little to no smell. Superb coverage and colors. I am totally pleased. Thank you all for your help!