Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint type for sprayer

Recently purchased a Fuji Minimite 4. Would like to use Benjamin Moore Advance or Sherwin Williams Pro Classic rather than oil based for painting furniture pieces. Anyone have any experience with such?

allen525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,276

Paint type for sprayer

I have never used that unit but I see it is a 3 stage so it should work for you. I don't know your spraying experience but there is a learning curve for hvlp. May be a good idea to get some really cheap yard sale furniture to practice on. One word of advice, if you go with the pro-classic be very careful with flotrol or xim pro classic already has levelers in it and to add these may result in a less than desirable finish. Please don't ask how I know this.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Paint type for sprayer

I've never used an HVLP sprayer for latex ---mine only does well with thinner finishes like stain, oil based poly--water based poly and oil based paint (slightly thinned)

For latex I use a paint pump---perhaps a painter with more experience than me will correct me---Mike----
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Paint type for sprayer

The only method I've successfully sprayed latex (un-thinned) was with a pressure feed spray gun using my Porter Cable C5510 compressor. I tried a gravity feed HVLP + compressor, but I didn't like how far I had to thin the latex to spray decently. My guess is that latex (un-thinned) is going to be too thick for that set-up. With an airless sprayer should work fine.
Evenfurther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #5

Paint type for sprayer

Thanks for the comments...... It's hard to be optimistic about latex. My unit is a 4 stage turbine which the manufacturer claims will push latex. Guess we'll see. Thanks for the heads up about the floetrol..............
allen525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Paint type for sprayer

I had a painter spray a high-performance latex enamel in my house with an HVLP. It provided a great finish. I wouldn't recommend it for flat finishes, though...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,276

Paint type for sprayer

It all depends on the spray unit both 4 and 5 stage units should spray latex without thinning but you may have to tweak the set up to get the desired finish. The best advice I think I can give you is go to the pro paint forum Paint talk and use the search feature. You won't be able to ask questions but there are several threads that deal with this subject.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote