Paint Type - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 154

Paint type

We are painting both my daughters rooms. Was just wondering which type of paint to use, flat, or semi gloss???
In the past we used just flat on our living room.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks Barry

Advertisement

Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint type

The paints between Flat and semi- ( matte and eggshell mainly) are what i use on most walls. BM regal matte is my fav.

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 686

Paint type

I've found flat to be far harder to clean, great for hiding flaws, but little else.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Paint type

daughters room .flat ceiling, satin walls, semi gloss trim
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint type

ltd- whose satin? Makes a diff.
BM's satin I consider a trim paint- closer to a semi. SW's is more like what BM calls matte- so know which co's sheen level you are dealing with. They are not all equal.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Paint type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
ltd- whose satin? Makes a diff.
BM's satin I consider a trim paint- closer to a semi. SW's is more like what BM calls matte- so know which co's sheen level you are dealing with. They are not all equal.
good point . Sherwin Williams
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Paint type

I agree there are so many differences. Even within the same MPI#'s

Ultimately the question to the answer is to use a higher gloss for the younger they are. Unless you want to go with a high quality flat which many of those are a Matte finish these days. I use Silken Touch from PPG for a good scuff resistance.

Paint colorant also adds a bit of gloss to the paint. Then there is the fact that darker colors also appear to be more shiny.

This article goes a bit more in depth on paint sheens

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-09-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: removed web link per forum rules.
Grants Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 154

Paint type

We are going with Benjamin moore,,, so what I 'm reading is a satin for the walls??
Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Paint type

MPI sheens, although standardized between manufacturers, have a gloss level range that can vary 2 - 3 degrees. A manufacturer may stay within the lower part or the higher part of the range, sometimes even batch to batch.
I agree with eggshell on the walls and semi-gloss on the trim, flat on the ceiling.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 254

Paint type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants Painting View Post
I agree there are so many differences. Even within the same MPI#'s

Ultimately the question to the answer is to use a higher gloss for the younger they are. Unless you want to go with a high quality flat which many of those are a Matte finish these days. I use Silken Touch from PPG for a good scuff resistance.

Paint colorant also adds a bit of gloss to the paint. Then there is the fact that darker colors also appear to be more shiny.

This article goes a bit more in depth on paint sheens
Colorants don't add gloss to paints, if anything they take away from the gloss - The reason darker colors appear to be more shiny is because there's not as much pigment to absorb the binder (which is shiny). Which is the same reason darker colors (typically) don't cover as well as light to mid-tone colors - not as much pigment.

So...that'd kind of be a non-sequitur, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-09-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: removed web link from quote per forum rules.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #11

Paint type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
MPI sheens, although standardized between manufacturers, have a gloss level range that can vary 2 - 3 degrees. A manufacturer may stay within the lower part or the higher part of the range, sometimes even batch to batch.
I agree with eggshell on the walls and semi-gloss on the trim, flat on the ceiling.
Hey Mr. Paint - good to see you again.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Paint type

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
Colorants don't add gloss to paints, if anything they take away from the gloss - The reason darker colors appear to be more shiny is because there's not as much pigment to absorb the binder (which is shiny). Which is the same reason darker colors (typically) don't cover as well as light to mid-tone colors - not as much pigment.

So...that'd kind of be a non-sequitur, wouldn't it?
Colorants will add gloss to a paint because the colorant by themselves are shiny. Get some and let a dab dry on something, you'll see for yourself.

Darker colors look shinier because the light shining off of them is usually lighter than the color. Its just a trick on the eye.

LOL. I see you looked up the word too.
Grants Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #13

Paint type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants Painting View Post
Colorants will add gloss to a paint because the colorant by themselves are shiny. Get some and let a dab dry on something, you'll see for yourself.

Darker colors look shinier because the light shining off of them is usually lighter than the color. Its just a trick on the eye.

LOL. I see you looked up the word too.
um...no, the paint binder is made less glossy by the amount of pigments added to the mix (not only paint colorants) - these pigments then absorb the binder creating a duller surface...while some of these pigments aid in hiding, that's not necessarily their main purpose. But it is the reason that flats typically hide better than flat hide better than sheened products (more pigment).

Typical glycol based colorants (universal colorants) are chalky flat when dry...some of the resin based type of colorants may have a little sheen to 'em, but they won't add to the overall sheen of a product.
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Paint type

Thanks ric, I usually can only contribute at work if I have spare time. I have been very busy of late and I think that with upcoming projects I probably will have less free time in the future. I always respect your valuable insights as do many on this forum.

Best Regards, Mr. Paint
Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #15

Paint type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Thanks ric, I usually can only contribute at work if I have spare time. I have been very busy of late and I think that with upcoming projects I probably will have less free time in the future. I always respect your valuable insights as do many on this forum.

Best Regards, Mr. Paint
I appreciate that Mr. Paint - and right back at you. It's always nice to have the perspective of a manufacturer in these discussions.

Advertisement