Paint Tips? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Tips?

I am about to repaint nearly every room in my 3 bedroom house. I don't want to pay to hire a professional but i don't want my paint jobs to look amateur. I saw a video on Homeremodeldeo.com that discussed painting but i couldnt really hear the sound. If anyone have any tips they could post on this thread or any videos they could post i would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Joe

Advertisement

toolman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint Tips?

Welcome to the forums Joe

Don't skimp on the quality of materials or tools
Attempts to "save money" by buying either cheap will have a direct adverse affect on the time, and/or effort, and/or quality of the project

Don't watch any of those Home Decorating shows like Lets Switch Houses and the like for tips
They are television shows, it's not real...real DIYers don't have a crew that does the actual work when the cameras are in another room
-plus they show how to do things wrong

Blue tape is way over used
Don't rely on it to give you a professional looking job...it won't

Don't buy your paint or tools at Wal*Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, K-Mart, or any other place with a paint department (certain contractor or professional supply places excluded)

Stick with Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh, premium paint lines (they all make cheap stuff too), and Zinsser primers

All Kilz products, except for Kilz Original (oil/alkyd), suck big time

Get a pole (the better quality ones from Wooster rock!)
Make sure it has the threaded end like a broom (not some special doohickie)
Buy a drywall sanding screen pad for it (and some screens), and a quality roller frame (Wooster Sherlocks rule too) for it
It will shorten the time spent on your project by more than you can imagine to roll with a pole and sand with a screen on a pole

-in the same vein get one of those dry-type swiffers on a stick to dust (clean) the walls after sanding, those things zip right through in and do a great job

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Paint Tips?

Tips: Along with getting the right products and tools, try to develop a "painters eye". Try to see the brush strokes in the paint and watch both ends of your roller for "tracks". Know that the appearance of paint changes as it dries. What you see wet will not necessarily look the same dry. When brushing don't leave any sharp edges, make the edges "fade".

When rolling, get the paint on the wall and then go back over it rolling in one direction only. Top to bottom, lightly.

Follow slicks tips and come back when you are working with specific questions. Much easier to help you.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
made in U.S.A.

Rewards Points: 75

Paint Tips?

And, when in doubt.....prime it.