Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: se
Posts: 1,287
Share |
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Using Klean Strip , brush it on the wood surface (its like a gel), and wait 5 minutes, then brush more on, wait about another 5 minutes or so, and scrape with knife, and nothing happens! Its like the paint it stripper proof!

Ready to quit and yank casing off and put in new. Just figured Id try it first to save $$ on wood, and doing carpentry....

Any feedback/tips/experience appreciated.

__________________
Alexander Pope: [a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing]
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Member
 
m1951mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 494
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Your title said something about beams---The thread said casing, what are you trying to strip?? Sometimes the chemicals in the strippers take longer than what you might be hoping for. Are you able to encase the project in plastic?? keeping the stripper wet for an extended period of time. Some paints are TUFF and need more than just 5 minutes of soak time to do their job. Sometimes just replacing the wood is easier.

__________________
Mickey
Fantasy Walls and Windows

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
noquacks (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Infrared stripper technology is a gift from God. It was the last tool I bought before forced retirement. They are much safer than heat guns, will loosen 800 layers of paint faster than chemical strippers, etc. You can rent one for a day or two and be done with this in no time. If you have a lot to do, buy one (not cheap) use it for as long as needed and sell it on Craig's List for near what you paid for it. As mentioned many times before, you always want razor sharp scrapers at hand with projects like these. Dull ones are dangerous and ineffective. Sharp tools are safe tools!


Last edited by user1007; 09-04-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added Photo
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
noquacks (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: se
Posts: 1,287
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
Using Klean Strip , brush it on the wood surface (its like a gel), and wait 5 minutes, then brush more on, wait about another 5 minutes or so, and scrape with knife, and nothing happens! Its like the paint it stripper proof!

Ready to quit and yank casing off and put in new. Just figured Id try it first to save $$ on wood, and doing carpentry....

Any feedback/tips/experience appreciated.
For BEANS, not beams...hehe.

casing- yes, around a door. no beams.
__________________
Alexander Pope: [a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing]
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noquacks For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: se
Posts: 1,287
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Infrared stripper technology is a gift from God. It was the last tool I bought before forced retirement. They are much safer than heat guns, will loosen 800 layers of paint faster than chemical strippers, etc. You can rent one for a day or two and be done with this in no time. If you have a lot to do, buy one (not cheap) use it for as long as needed and sell it on Craig's List for near what you paid for it. As mentioned many times before, you always want razor sharp scrapers at hand with projects like these. Dull ones are dangerous and ineffective. Sharp tools are safe tools!

Good idea, ester. maybe I can rent one- this stripper stuff is for the birds.

Looks like there is still hope..........
__________________
Alexander Pope: [a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing]
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Member
 
m1951mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 494
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Would your project on the beans, beams ooops, casing go better if you removed the casing and did the stripping outside, in a garage, or elsewhere?? To keep the mess out of the house would be a nice thing. Once stripped sanded and even primed or stained prior to going back in, working on the horizontal is soooo much easier than the vertical, beans, beams or WHATEVER. You are to funny, thanks for your post!!!!!!
__________________
Mickey
Fantasy Walls and Windows

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
noquacks (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 977
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Some diy strippers are weak. Some strippers need to dwell and remain wet on the surface for a while. Strypeez and Peel Away are pretty great strippers, but be carefull with caustic stripppers, follow instructions and wear PPE
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
noquacks (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: se
Posts: 1,287
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm View Post
Would your project on the beans, beams ooops, casing go better if you removed the casing and did the stripping outside, in a garage, or elsewhere?? To keep the mess out of the house would be a nice thing. Once stripped sanded and even primed or stained prior to going back in, working on the horizontal is soooo much easier than the vertical, beans, beams or WHATEVER. You are to funny, thanks for your post!!!!!!
Thnaks, mickey. yeah, cant remove withour destroying trim facing on the other side of the casing (other room). I was trying to take a short cut, but doesnt seem to be worth it. maybe I'll paint the wood brown paint instead of the rich natural mahogany stain I wanted..........hehe
__________________
Alexander Pope: [a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing]
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: se
Posts: 1,287
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Some diy strippers are weak. Some strippers need to dwell and remain wet on the surface for a while. Strypeez and Peel Away are pretty great strippers, but be carefull with caustic stripppers, follow instructions and wear PPE
I didnt know that. Thanks.
__________________
Alexander Pope: [a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing]
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 206
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Dad's brand liquid stripper worked better for me then the gels.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Used to strip paint with lye. Recycled it to make lutefisk for Christmas presents. I would pack the reconstituted cod fish in jars, along with lead paint chips and habenero peppers and mail it off to family and friends.

Yes, 64 percent of those who got lutefisk from me are now dead. The smarter ones knew, since I marked it as lutefisk, the the jars---pretty as they looked---should never be opened.

I tasted it once and survived. Nothing could look prettier if contained as pure evil in a jar.

Why do we always turn to chemicals for stripping paint? More time to chow down on lutefisk? Lazy?

I can get layers off trim paint with a sharp scraper. Paint does not get melted with chemicals or power tools into the wood grain for me to have to deal with later.

And please people, remember the vapors from old type strippers are heavier than air and can sink along a basement or garage floor to say a water heater or furnace pilot light.

Boom!!! This site is really weak on estate planning and will design for DIYers.

Last edited by user1007; 09-05-2011 at 09:51 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Stairguy
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 607
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


just buy new casing. Its cheap enough.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertyme For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,454
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
just buy new casing. Its cheap enough.

If the trim is common modern stock--replacing it is the best idea,

If one of a kind antique consider removing and sending it out to be stripped.

I've only stripped a few---the cost of stripping is MUCH higher than replacing---I can reproduce antique trim and install it for less than the cost of stripping,in most cases.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


My man sdsester is on a roll!!
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Paint stripper doesnt work for beans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If the trim is common modern stock--replacing it is the best idea,

If one of a kind antique consider removing and sending it out to be stripped.

I've only stripped a few---the cost of stripping is MUCH higher than replacing---I can reproduce antique trim and install it for less than the cost of stripping,in most cases.
Actually hate to agree and if it is pine, fir or something you will probably be disappointed when you get it all stripped.

However, ate least in the houses I worked on the showy trim downstairs was often really nice oak, walnut and so forth. A shame to toss that I think.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PreVal Sprayer: Anybody Tried It With Latex? Twister Painting 7 10-17-2013 12:36 AM
Why has my white paint work turned yellow S. Alton Painting 6 07-07-2011 11:52 AM
Cleaning Paint Stripper from Gummed Up Brass Brushes? Lovegasoline Painting 0 04-10-2010 01:13 PM
semi gloss enamel vs eggshell enamel NoExperience Painting 18 03-05-2009 04:57 AM
So many questions where to start?!?!(NEWBIE) painter84 Painting 5 09-15-2008 12:50 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.