Paint Sprayer For Log Home - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Sprayer for log home

Hi,

I have a log home that needs stain every 5 to 7 years and was hoping someone could suggest a good airless paint sprayer to apply the stain to the exterior of the home. I have seen a Graco 190es for ~$500 and Wagner 9195 for ~$600.

It would get heavy use for 2-4 days then used sparingly for light work the rest of the time.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

bgenswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgenswein View Post
Hi,

I have a log home that needs stain every 5 to 7 years and was hoping someone could suggest a good airless paint sprayer to apply the stain to the exterior of the home. I have seen a Graco 190es for ~$500 and Wagner 9195 for ~$600.

It would get heavy use for 2-4 days then used sparingly for light work the rest of the time.

Thanks in advance.
For that kind of usage, you may be better off renting one, use a garden sprayer for touch ups and such. Keeping one stored that long, even if properly prepped, is chancy at best. Parts seize, seals deteriorated... etc. JMHO

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (06-28-2012), oh'mike (06-28-2012), ToolSeeker (09-26-2012), user1007 (09-25-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks John, good point about things sitting idle for that long.
bgenswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unless you have other uses for a paint sprayer, rent a good one every 7 years. From a real paint store. Buying your own appropriate tips is not a bad idea IMO. If you keep them clean you will know they will work. Last yahoo to use the equipment may have forgetten to be diligent about cleaning them.

I would also think about a tank sprayer, heavy nap roller cover, or giant but quality brush. Or some combination. By the time you mask everything off for using a sprayer, you could be done.

If you do spray, remember to mask all the windows, doors, light fixtures, doorbell, garage door handle, nearby sidewalk or deck surfaces and all first. Move the cars, dogs, cats, pet elk or whatever too. Turn the patio over, even if it is poured concrete, too. Have your neighbors downwind do the same if they are close.

Last edited by user1007; 09-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

I may get grief for this, but it worked for me so something to consider:

I bought the cheapo H. F. HVLP all in one turbine system to prime and paint our wicker patio furniture and it did a pretty darn good job. I was pretty amazed.
I got it on sale and with a coupon for like $75 I think?

Sherwin W. Oil exterior primer then latex exterior paint over bare, wore out, pressure washed, partly dryrotted old wicker furniture.

I had to refill the paint cup several times and thinned the primer and paint slightly, and strained it and was good to go.
A helper with a 2nd fresh cup of stain coming every 10 minutes or so and you'd be ready to rock. It's key to do it on a near windless day... and you may have to backbrush a little for optimal penetration.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...kit-44677.html

Rockler sells it as well.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&site=ROCKLER

Good luck!

Last edited by John in NC; 10-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.
John in NC is offline   Reply With Quote