Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Paint Sprayer Graco vs Earlex?

Looking to purchase a sprayer for more house projects and finishing up painting and staining my kitchen cabinets.
Will be using
ProClassicŪ Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel

At first I was looking at a Wagner, I think I found an old forum post here where someone mentioned to go with a Graco instead.
So then I started searching Graco spray station 3900.

In the process, I did some searches on the 3900 and found yet another person mention that Earlex is the actual maker of the Graco paint sprayers.

They said the Earlex Spray Station 3500 is the same as the Graco 3900.
Can anyone give me pros or cons on each?

I also stain and poly frames for the art I sell, so later after using it for my kitchen cabinets, I would like to use it for spraying all my unfinished frames a lot quick than what I am doing now.

DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-Her View Post
Looking to purchase a sprayer for more house projects and finishing up painting and staining my kitchen cabinets.
Will be using
ProClassicŪ Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel

At first I was looking at a Wagner, I think I found an old forum post here where someone mentioned to go with a Graco instead.
So then I started searching Graco spray station 3900.

In the process, I did some searches on the 3900 and found yet another person mention that Earlex is the actual maker of the Graco paint sprayers.

They said the Earlex Spray Station 3500 is the same as the Graco 3900.
Can anyone give me pros or cons on each?

I also stain and poly frames for the art I sell, so later after using it for my kitchen cabinets, I would like to use it for spraying all my unfinished frames a lot quick than what I am doing now.

Earlex sprayers are made by an English co.,Graco is made here in the USA,here's a link.

OOPS wrong link,see next post.

Last edited by Canarywood1; 09-24-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: wrong link
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #3

Earlex is an English company,Graco is made here in the USA,i'll post a link to a distributor.

https://www.cjspray.com/

Last edited by Canarywood1; 09-24-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

well that explains it why when I did Youtube video searches on Earlex, all the voices were English accents

I also read on this forum that airless is for paints and HPLV is for varnish and some stains? Should I stick with the Graco 3900 or go up one model?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

ok, now instead of the Graco 3900, I'm thinking to jump to the TrueCoat Plus II Handheld Electric Airless Sprayer 16n659 ?

It says it can spray both mediums, paint and poly etc where I think the 3900 may not do the Sherwin Williams Pro Classic without me watering it down too much?

I like that it's still hand held and easy for me to take around if my husband isn't home.
Anyone here own the TrueCoat PlusII?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Just bought the Graco TrueCoat and it is great. I never thought an airless would spray so well. I sprayed SW Latex with no watering down and came out incredible

I was going to go with one of the bigger units like the X5 but from what I have read it takes about 1/4 to 1/3 of a gallon of paint to fill up the pump and hose etc. This is fine if you are spraying 5 gallons to paint a fence. If you are going to paint a few small things you waste a ton of paint. The True Coat only wastes a few ounces but works great.

Last edited by Troy32; 09-24-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Troy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Troy32 For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

thank you Troy now to find the best price. I already painted my upper cabinets, 4-5 coats. Even though it leveled out, I can still see some brush strokes and I'd like to get it nicer than it is. I'm also thinking to order lower kitchen cabinets and if I can get them unfinished for a lot less from the same company, I might stain and poly them myself. I've done a lot of staining and poly for years, so it's just a matter of my time.
Thanks for your input. Where did you buy yours?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #8

ok, here is a video I found, the spray seems to be pretty wide, or is it that the guy that used it just didn't have it set right. Seems just as much paint that got onto the board also went into the air?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #9

looks like I'll need an hvlp mainly because I might have to paint some of my doors in the basement during the Winter months and the same thing for my large frames staining and poly. I can't have it fogging up the basement with paint like it seems the airless will do. I need it more concentrated and controlled spray.
Darn, I really liked the setup and the weighted syphon on the Graco Truecoat.

Wish i knew a better way.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

anyone use the Spray Station Gemini? still searching on which model will work for me
Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

ok, now after looking at the Spray Station Gemini, I see how it can use up a lot of product just to prime it. Getting a bit frustrated at which one I need.
Any help appreciated
Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-Her View Post
ok, now after looking at the Spray Station Gemini, I see how it can use up a lot of product just to prime it. Getting a bit frustrated at which one I need.
Any help appreciated

HVLP is going to produce a lot of paint floating in the air as opposed to an airless,not that you wont have some,but less than HVLP,and if you go airless and like the Graco pro,this link will get you the Graco pro refurb with a same as new warranty, something to think about.

https://www.cjspray.com/professional...er-258864.html
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

I have the adjustable true coat sprayer and even on the lightest setting it throws a lot of paint. I used SW Emerald in my basement and there was very little smell. It is low or no VOC. I painted the molding I used for picture frame wainscoting. It definitely used more paint then a brush but came out glass smooth.

I bought it at Homie with a 10% off coupon for $264 with tax
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

I grew up spraying in a body shop. The reason I did not go with HVLP is you need a real good drying system to keep condensation from the compressor from messing up the paint.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,518

I have a graco 3900 thought it would be great if I only had 1 or 2 doors to spray. I also used pro classic it did not work. The reason is pro classic has levelers in it that eliminates brush strokes. For the 3900 you had to thin the paint so much it effected the levelers big time and the heated air from the turbine dried the paint too quick and it looked streaked. To the best of my knowledge to get a HVLP that will shoot straight latex runs around $2000. An airless sprayer can shoot latex straight from the can. The thing that determines how much it sprays is the tip size, for example most come with a 517 tip, that means that 1 foot away from say a wall the fan will be 10 inches wide (double the first number) and it has a 17 thousands orfice that is how much paint it lets through the tip. This size tip is good for say painting walls. Now take a 210 fine finish tip the fan is 4 inches wide and the orfice is only 10 thousands, much smaller. This tip is good for trim and doors. I have never used the true coat, but I have used the Wagner and found the secret there is don't let it get over half empty. If you do it tends to spit. Hope this helps to clear some confusion and does not add to it.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (09-24-2013), Jmayspaint (09-24-2013)