Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #1

Share |

paint sprayer and "encapsulating" paint recommendations for meth home remediation

Please respond if you have a specific paint, primer and/or paint sprayer that you'd recommend that fits the bill for this project!

I've recently purchased a home that was decontaminated from meth and I plan to live in it soon and use it later as a rental. I'm going to follow the EPA voluntary guidelines for meth lab cleanup which includes washing and sealing the walls. The washing has already been done by a certified decontamination company and the house has passed state regulations. So, the project that needs to happen before I can move in is painting all walls, ceilings and cabinets in a 1400 sq ft home. I'm looking for input on two items: choice of paint sprayer and choices in paint & primer.

The guidelines recommend encapsulating interior surfaces using oil based paint, epoxies or polyurethane, in multiple coats and using a paint sprayer rather than a roller. It also recommends using a primer that will not "deteriorate over time."

I see a Krause & Becker 5/8 Hp airless paint sprayer kit at Harbor Freight and without other recommendations, will likely go with it. I am not sure if all spray painters work for all types of paint or not. Please share if you have experience.

Thank you!

Spiderzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #2

paint sprayer and "encapsulating" paint recommendations for meth home remediation

Spider, I've never seen a post like this, a previous meth lab, huh? What are you trying to encapsulate, is it odor or chemical residue? Zinsser BIN is the leader in odor sealing. It is a alcohol based pigmented shellac. Zinsser also makes an oil based sealer called Cover Stain. There are other oil sealers like Kilz, but the Cover Stain and BIN are also bonding primers. You can blast all the trim, cabinets, and other surfaces that would need sanding and not worry about sanding to create a bond. Kilz is not a bonding primer. It may be worth a call to their tech line to find their recommendation.
I know both can be sprayed, but I don't have enough experience with sprayers to answer that question.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

To know what you are sealing back would help- but IMO this is a job that you should hire a pro to do. Spraying that stuff needs proper equipment, including respirators and protection.
Not something a DIY just walks in and does.
jsheridan (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #4

And learning to spray with BIN
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

The meth levels in the home weren't quite high enough to indicate that meth was cooked in the home, it may have just been smoked, but I will never know for sure. Regardless, there is now an array of chemicals that seeped into the wall which I need to prevent from volatizing again. I'd like to do the work myself, both for cost reasons and interest.

Good idea to call the paint companies.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

If you end up spraying yourself look into a Graco or Titan sprayer especially since you said multiple coats. Yes they are more money but with the different tips available they are worth it. When done if you have no more use for it put it on craigs list. Sherwin Williams sell a encapsulating primer it's used a lot for smoke damage but I don't remember the name Pro Bond or something like that I think. Ben Moore should have something along those lines also. Just my opinion but for what was there and what you are sealing I don't feel that this would be the time to go cheap. Go with quality products and paint companies that have specialized products.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #7

Your lucky. Usually the sheet rock and floors have to be removed.
grizzzlle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #8

Have a lot of meth labs out there in the PRO, the People's Republic of Oregon Griz?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Have a lot of meth labs out there in the PRO, the People's Republic of Oregon Griz?

a couple , it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
paint sprayer and "encapsulating" paint recommendations for meth home remediation-lab_seizures1.jpg  

Last edited by chrisn; 02-01-2013 at 06:32 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #10

Lol. Hate to say it but I think those numbers actually are low. At the beginning of the meth problem the health department was lagging on how to respond to houses affected by meth. Rumor was by the time the health department and deq caught up to what was needed for homes to be cleaned up some homes had been sold. There was new home owners that received notices that their house had to be vacated till the repairs had been complete.
grizzzlle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

Those are also 1998 figures, probably quadrupled now. Look at Missouri, 371, the "Show Me" state. Yea, show me the meth biatch!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
look into a Graco or Titan sprayer
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked into these brands and they do look better than the one I saw on Harbor Freight, and they're not prohibitively more expensive.

I am actually replacing the flooring in the house too, though not the subfloor. The main purpose isn't for meth reasons though, it's just because the floors were horrible. The house has a lot of other needs outside of the meth issue.

Tags
encapsulate, meth, oil based, paint, paint sprayer