Paint Sprayer Advice - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Sprayer advice

Evening,

I would like some advice from others who have experience with the airless paint sprayers. I have an older home wood siding that I would like to repaint myself going forward as well as deck, fence etc. So, it maybe used a couple times a yet at most. I was looking to rent one however my local rental shop is selling their used model Titan Rentspray 600 for $500. My question is do I need something this powerful for occasional use or should I save a couple hundred dollars and get more of an entry level Titan or possibly a soratTech 1720? It seems some of these lower models can be found online for less than $300. Just have no idea so looking from some advice from others who have went down this path.

Cheers,

Justin

Advertisement

justin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint Sprayer advice

My best advise is if you have never had good instruction on how to set up to spray, and how to do it, don't.
I watched my neighbor ( after giving him this same advise) ruin his house, spray all his windows and roof. Luckily none of the neighbors cars got hit. it was a windy day...

It sounds easy and quick , but if you don't know what you are doing it is neither.

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,294

Paint Sprayer advice

Spraying is neither easy or quick. Truly, by the time you mask properly, set up, prime the pump, work on technique, you could be done with your painting project. Check your homeowner's policy......you likely aren't covered for overspray problems.

Having said all of that, I would purchase the Titan from the rental place if it's in decent condition. Any lower end model you purchase is mainly gonna give you headaches. For the record, I used to spray quite a bit, but, after an insurance claim because of overspray onto some cars, I gave it up. My insurance was gonna double. Like Brush said, a windy day or even a slight breeze that kicks up while you are spraying can send overspray as far as a block away. You've never seen anger until you see a sportscar owner with little polka dots of paint on his new ride!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-17-2013), jbiehl (04-29-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Paint Sprayer advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin76 View Post
I have an older home wood siding that I would like to repaint myself going forward as well as deck, fence etc.
What type of wood siding? T1-11? Remember: while the airless often makes a great tool for applying the material, surfaces like T1-11, stucco,etc., should really be back-rolled to get the best job. This is especially true with substrates like T1-11, which is notoriously difficult for inexperienced operators to spray well.

Quote:
my local rental shop is selling their used model Titan Rentspray 600 for $500.
Titan makes excellent pumps, and that could be a very good deal on that unit, which goes for about $1800 new...but it will depend on the amount of life left in the packings and, if so, whether or not you will have to have a shop do the work, or attempt it yourself.

Does it come with a hose and gun, and are they in good shape? I don't know if it comes with something like the Wagner G-10, Graco Contractor's model, whatever, the needle and seat on those things need regular replacement, especially when used as often as a rental unit probably is. If it's getting worn, or beginning to spit, you'll need to replace that set of parts.

That Titan unit has electronic control features for pressure, etc.. Are they functioning properly? Does the rental shop offer any warranty (probably not) or is the sale "as is?"

I'm not trying to burden you with a lot of extra questions, but those are some considerations. That's a great price on that pump if it is in good working condition, and probably also is depending on the cost of any parts & labor you have to put into it.

Wagner makes the Spraytech line; they've been making pumps for years, and their higher end models will go the distance. The less expensive ones won't take the abuse of regular use over time, but would probably be fine for anything you've described.

EDITED to add: I'm looking at the specs for the Wagner: "GPM: .33 GPM Maximum Tip: .019" Maximum Operating Pressure: 3000 PSI." That's fine for occasional home use. The Titan has double the GPM, and supports a much larger tip, but it isn't necessary for what you've described.

If you decide on the Wagner model, just be sure to be pretty scrupulous in keeping it clean.

Anyway...I'm just a newbie here, so that's my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by clambake6; 03-16-2013 at 10:22 PM.
clambake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clambake6 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Sprayer advice

ok. siding is wide cedar plank siding. I do understand the overspray issue and must be careful however I have no neighbors close so I am not that worried. Now to the machine. The machine is in perfect working order includes the gun, tips and 50 ft hose. Im not sure if I can find out how many hours were used on it. They will gurantee it works properly as it's a true value local rental. Im not sure they would do any work on it down the road as far as repais so Im not sure what to do should there be a mechanical problem.
justin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Paint Sprayer advice

Quote:
The machine is in perfect working order includes the gun, tips and 50 ft hose. Im not sure if I can find out how many hours were used on it.
Well, Justin76, if I were still in the trade (I retired from it 7 years ago) I would probably go with the Titan; however, I would want to know ahead of time the replacement cost of the packings for the pump, and the needle/seat for the gun. Being the curious type, I'd also probably want to know the replacement cost of the piston.

I knew how to change the packings in my old Binks Hornet and SuperBee (now I'm REALLY dating myself) as well as the various Graco pumps we used. I could also do the needle/seat combo in the Graco Contractor's Gun, as well as the Wagner G-10, which were primarily the ones we used. If you learn to do that you'll save yourself some maintenance costs, but otherwise you'll have to have a shop do it.

Just as an aside ( and I want you to assume the very friendliest of voices when you read this, because that's how I mean it) an airless is just about the quickest way of getting the material out of the bucket and onto the wall as there is, but it isn't the answer to everything, and it isn't even the best, or most efficient, method for lots of situations.

Take that deck you mentioned, for instance. I did lots of decks in my day, both new and re-paints, and I might often use the airless to shoot the undersides, especially on second story units, but I always brushed and rolled the walking surface and railings.
On any siding that was rough/resawn I would often use an airless to apply the material, but then quickly back-brush/back-roll each section as I moved along. You don't have to do it that way (and you can't afford to do it that way for tract work, if any is still being done out there) but it gives a better finished job, in my opinion.

And whichever pump you choose, don't forget safety. I took my apprenticeship with an outfit that had an old painter named Al as one of the supervisors. Al went by the nickname "one-finger" (a misnomer, as he actually had three fingers left on that hand) because he had lost two of the fingers on one hand after injecting himself with thinner while cleaning the gun under pressure. Unless things have changed since I was active, the doctors tend to cut off the parts that have solvents, thinners, paints, etc., injected into them. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Anywaaaaay...whatever you decide to do, have fun with it!
clambake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,294

Paint Sprayer advice

Clambake, that just might be the best post ever here on DIY about spraying..........love it.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,164

Paint Sprayer advice

Quote:
ok. siding is wide cedar plank siding. I do understand the overspray issue and must be careful however I have no neighbors close so I am not that worried. Now to the machine. The machine is in perfect working order includes the gun, tips and 50 ft hose. Im not sure if I can find out how many hours were used on it. They will gurantee it works properly as it's a true value local rental. Im not sure they would do any work on it down the road as far as repais so Im not sure what to do should there be a mechanical problem.

I'm sure there's a good reason they are getting rid of it,check out the refurb units on this site,1 year same as new warranty on refurbs,the ProX7 is the same price you want to pay for the rental unit,the 210ES is a little more but a lot more pump,click on the pump to see the refurb price.

https://www.cjspray.com/products/ele...-sprayers.html
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,164

Paint Sprayer advice

Quote:

There's a reason they are getting rid of it,check out this site's refurb units,1 year same as new warranty,ProX7 is the same price as the rental unit,210ES is a little more but well worth the price,click on the pump to see the refurb price.

https://www.cjspray.com/products/ele...-sprayers.html

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-17-2013)