Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

paint sprayer?

I have a couple of questions about finishing my basement walls(drywalled). I am looking at buying a paint sprayer to do this. I don't really like the cheaper ones like some of the wagners. I don't need the best but would like a nice one that will last for a while and can do a variety of painting tasks. I have been looking at graco for anywhere from 400-700 bucks. I would like it to spray primer and paint. Also i don't know if these are meant to spray stain for trim and deck stain but i read that some of the sprayers can, so if they can i would like that to. Any advice on brands, models, what to look for, or what i can and can't spray would be much appreciated. Thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Painting contractor

Rewards Points: 10

paint sprayer?

If you are only going to use the sprayer for your basement and not using it frequently why not rent a sprayer from your local Sherwin Williams store or other reputable paint store. If you decide to puchase a sprayer this could be a way to check out a whether you like the sprayer.

Jerry

Thepaintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

paint sprayer?

To be honest i've never been a fan of renting things, you spend 50-100 bucks to use it for a day. I'm going to be remodeling the whole house eventually so i will use it more than once so those renting fees will add up. Plus i know some friends will want to borrow it, I have two that are finishing their basement now. So i believe it will be a wise investment and will get it's share of use every now and then. Any suggestions on brands or models or what to look for in a decent sprayer? I read that the graco that HD sells aren't good quality? I would like one that will last if i take care of it and also leaves a nice finish for a variety of materials. Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Painting contractor

Rewards Points: 10

paint sprayer?

For your multiple times of use you may want to purchase. I have a Graco 395St lowboy. I have had my Graco 395ST for 6 years with virtually no problems of repairs. I have used it over 150 times in that span of time but I do clean it up thoroughly after each use. I have seen some guys rigs and wonder why they arer still working.

I did not or would not buy from a big box store. Do some research and definitely talk to a knowledgable sales/rep from a reputable paint store. From other forum threads I have read many painters like the Titan machines. I would also consider Titan if I were purchasing a sprayer for the long haul.

Jerry

Last edited by Thepaintman; 02-11-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: change
Thepaintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

paint sprayer?

The last sprayer I bought( Graco EM390 Airless) was from a rebuilder. At the time it was 3 years old but had all new packing and was resleaved.The motor had new brushes with the inner bearing replaced,All that for 1/2 the price of new.Food For Thought................
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #6

paint sprayer?

Thanks for the help guys. Where can i find these rebuilt units? Also what should i look for in a sprayer, how many psi, maximum size of tips, etc. i would like to be able to spray paint, primer, stain, deck stain if posible. Thanks again for your help
Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

paint sprayer?

The bigbox sprayers are de-spec'd, it's a different type of pump
Basically an over-priced cooler looking Wagner
A good real one will be 800-1200

I can't possibly recommend buying one for one project
And I can not recommend spraying an occupied interior
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #8

paint sprayer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Where can i find these rebuilt units? Also what should i look for in a sprayer, how many psi, maximum size of tips, etc. i would like to be able to spray paint, primer, stain, deck stain if posible. Thanks again for your help
@ the time I was living in Portland Oregon.Portland compressor was where I went for all my sprayer and compressor needs.I am sure there is a repair shop in your local town.As to psi,3200 seems to be the norm with psi going as high as 7200.As to tips.They vary with different products used.Take a 211 reverse tip,2= product flow rate.the 11= hight of fan or 11" of fan .211 tip would be for lighter viscosity materials.Take a 615 reverse tip,6=more flow rate,15= 15" of fan.This would be for heavy bodied latexes.Then you have to look at spray guns.....It gets involved very quickly but is pretty easy to understand.What I would recommend to you is that you go to your local paint supply store and get a rep to show you what you need to know.Better to see it than to just be told.Good Luck and be Safe.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #9

paint sprayer?

Thanks for your help guys. much appreciated. I'll go to sherwin williams and talk to them and ask any more questions if i have them.