Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #1

Share |

Paint selection help

Hello, I just had someone fix the cracks in my plaster walls and a few holes also, I had them tear down the old plaster ceilings and hang up drywall. Now I need to prim and paint and needed help on selecting a brand and do I apply the same primer to the spots that was fixed on my plaster walls as the drywall ceilings or do I use two diferent things? I would like to apply the primer over the entire wall if possible.

Thanks!
Chad
oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #2

Paint selection help

Personally, I love Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 primer for all of my priming needs! I have used both oil based and latex but as they seem to work the same, I prefer latex for easier clean up! Kilz works also for MOST projects, but it has let me down in the past! good luck on your project!
woodlandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #3

Paint selection help

It sounds as if you do not have any particularly exotic painting needs. Get yourself your local paint store, (not BigBoxCo that sells paint), tell them what you are priming, and they will sell you the correct product. I don't think it will need to be anything other than a basic water-base primer. (I use Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock Latex, others here have different preferences.)

For the topcoat, purchase the finish of your choice at or near the top of their product line. (For Sherwin Williams, this would be SuperPaint or Duration, for Benjamin Moore, Regal or Aura.) The actual brand doesn't actually matter (there are countless paint companies other than SW or BM), just that you actually buy your product from an actual paint store, rather than a super-cost-sensitive BigBox.

Yes, the paint at the paint store costs more per gallon than the BigBox paint. But it is VERY worth it.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #4

Paint selection help

Thanks for the replys! I called my local SW and they sugested the Pro Block or the Bullseye 123 for the primer so im going with the ProBlock prime because they were leaning toward that more. Thanks!
oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote