Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #1

Share |

paint samples flashing with new paint 3 COATS!!! HELP!!

here's the story, i'm an idiot and put behr "flat" latex paint samples on 2 walls in the living room and after 3 coats of "america's finest" (home depot house brand? don't laugh the contractor said he had good results with it in the past)
flat latex paint (which is obviously flatter than the behr samples) those 4x4 sample squares of behr flat paint are flashing (shinier than the rest of the wall) when looking at them at the right angle and that's after 3 coats of this america's finest paint.

i'm stuck with this paint now so switching paint is NOT an option in fact it would be fine if not for the flashing squares underneath.

as it stands now the contractor put one coat of kilz2 on both walls but i can still see the sample squares after an hour of drying. should i put another coat of kilz2 on those walls myself after the contractor leaves or use another primer altogether? also the primer on the wall now is not uniform (i can still see the old brown paint bleeding through in some spots. keep in mind i'm using flat latex paint (kind of brown/grayish). if i were doing it myself i would use enough primer so the wall was totally white and uniform (no streaks).

i would imagine enough primer would eventually hide those squares, but i'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination which is why i'm here.
oldirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #2

well i had to make a move as the contractor is coming back tomorrow afternoon, i really should have taken pictures of that .00008% coat of kilz 2 he put on the walls.

anyway it looks like Zinsser 1-2-3 water based primer sorted me out. one good even coat of it and that flashing is gone, hope i didn't go overboard with it...

if you bother to look at the pics the black boxes on the walls was where the flashing was going on.

now all he has to do is slap the paint on top of that. i would imagine it's going to work out ok.
Attached Thumbnails
paint samples flashing with new paint 3 COATS!!! HELP!!-img_0837.jpg   paint samples flashing with new paint 3 COATS!!! HELP!!-img_0838.jpg   paint samples flashing with new paint 3 COATS!!! HELP!!-img_0839.jpg   paint samples flashing with new paint 3 COATS!!! HELP!!-img_0840.jpg  
oldirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

So maybe there is a reason why everyone here says that HD paint and Kill2 is not the preferred choice of the pros??? =))

glad the project came out well - chalk it up as a learning experience. My grandfather, a pro painter all his life, had a saying - "The cheapest always turns out to be the most expensive".
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

It isn't necessary to fully coat with a primer until it's opaque - BIN is a perfectly good primer and the "active ingredient" so to speak it clear shellac. Primers and sealers are not going to have the same hiding properties because that's the paint's job - no need to pay more to put it in the primer when that's not the primer's job. A good white paint has a ton of titanium dioxide in it and it would be a waste to put that in a primer.

With regard to Small Wall, looks fine and all but obviously the litmus test is putting paint over the actual surface it's going to cover. When you paint a wall, you are painting paint. So how that paint is going to look is how it looks over that paint, not how it looks over the Small Wall surface. So flashing is not an issue Small Wall will really address. It's simply a portable surface that's ready for paint. Nothing wrong with paying for that convenience, but don't mistake it for something else (like your actual wall surface.)
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
So maybe there is a reason why everyone here says that HD paint and Kill2 is not the preferred choice of the pros??? =))

glad the project came out well - chalk it up as a learning experience. My grandfather, a pro painter all his life, had a saying - "The cheapest always turns out to be the most expensive".

you got it
although the kilz was probably ok as it was
the 123 is better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

I always have clients use sample boards. If not for the flashing- because they don't know how to paint and I end up having to skim out their drips.
2 coats on a sample board give you an idea of the color- that you can move around to different walls/ lighting.
It is to sample the color- not the wall..
Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I always have clients use sample boards. If not for the flashing- because they don't know how to paint and I end up having to skim out their drips.
2 coats on a sample board give you an idea of the color- that you can move around to different walls/ lighting.
It is to sample the color- not the wall..
I hate having to spackle out the customer samples! I had a lady one time take one of good brushes, apply a couple areas of a color, and then leave my brush to harden on top of her sample can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (01-21-2013), oh'mike (01-21-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

I would have added 2 new brushes to the bill
The second one , just because.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote