Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |

paint for rusted chain link fence

what is best way to deal with/pain rusted chain link fence?

MariaLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Go to hardware store. Walk to paint aisle. Walk down aisle to the Rust Oleum or enamel paint is. Find color to your liking. Find a paint brush or roller and pan to pour paint in. Take items to cashier to pay for. Get in car & go home and paint.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLiz View Post
what is best way to deal with/pain rusted chain link fence?
The amount of rusted area in square feet of fence may may be a determining factor how it's dealt with, but in general wire brush the best you can to remove what rust you can and then apply a phosphoric acid product to neutralize ( ? ) the rust. Various home centers will have this under various product names. I have a quart and if you need the name just ask. Paint the fence the next day if painting is what you prefer.

Depending on the area I may just be reaching for my 12" paint roller and tray to apply the acid on that type of job.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Chain link is the absolute toughest substrate to paint. I hate it. If it's rusty you will want to wire brush it as Fairview said. Then you can apply a rusty metal primer to the rusty spots. Allow that to dry. Then apply some aluminum paint or SW has something called "Fencebrite" which is a very shiny aluminum paint. Applying it is difficult at best. If you roll it, it works best if you have a person on each side rolling with a thick roller cover. Cover everything cause this paint splatters everywhere! If you spray it's even more of a messy proposition and takes some real technique to do it right without wasting a lot of paint. Hopefully someone chimes in with some even better tips.........
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

There is no easy way to do this
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Will22 (10-31-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
There is no easy way to do this
Sure there is. Dip it.

When working in the hollows of Virginia, where some of the most prolific advice on this site comes from, we would dig a trench under the existing fence 1' taller than the fence all the way around the perimeter. Fill with primer. Dip fence in for the primer. Let dry. Remove primer from trench and fill with paint. Dip twice allowing to dry between coats. Remove paint from trench. Reset posts and fill with dirt. Run rainbow colored vinyl slats through grid pattern. Place lawn ornaments in front of refinished fence. Done deal.

Seriously, if I could pawn it off, I sub-contracted it to an electrostatic painting company that could put a beautiful finish on chain link fencing for a lot less than what I would have had to charge. No way I could have matched the finish with brush, roller or conventional sprayer either. And of course clients had choice of color.

Otherwise, the two person method (if you happen to have or can bid an extra person) matching you with a roller on the other side has worked best for me.

I HATED PAINTING CYCLONE FENCING.

Last edited by user1007; 09-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-24-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
... but in general wire brush the best you can to remove what rust you can and then apply a phosphoric acid product to neutralize ( ? ) the rust
Yes can you please share with us the name of the product please? Thanks!
ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The problem with acid and neutralizing the reaction is you still need to follow with a self-etching rust inhibiting metal primer before painting.

I would wire brush anything loose, then apply a rust converting primer. Your paint store should be able to order it for you. It is not cheap. Not all works on galvanized metal.

Follow with whatever finish coat.

Do think about buying some disposable, full protection suits for this. No matter how careful you are, you will get primer and paint all over yourself. I say again, I HATED PAINTING CHAIN LINK!

Last edited by user1007; 10-30-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohman View Post
Yes can you please share with us the name of the product please? Thanks!
JASCO is what I've used and was purchased at Lowe's but I'm not getting anything there now from research.

There are several phosphoric acid paint and prep products, if we google, that will probably work just as well. You might try automotive, paint or hardware stores.
Always follow label directions.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #10

Find a company that sells industrial coatings. Alot of industrial products can be applied to sound rusted metal. Look for an aluminum moisture-cured urethane. Check with Gulf Coast Paint Co. in Loxley, AL to see if they have distribution where you are.
http://www.gulfcoastpaint.com/
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Sand Blast, Spray White Metal Primer, Spray Finish?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote