Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint rubs off.

About a year ago, I bought a house that had been painted prior to sale with Benjamin Moore "Ben" flat paint. I have been very disappointed with its durability. If you attempt to wash anything off the walls, even being very, very gentle, you end up taking off the paint. Because many of the walls now look terrible, I need to repaint and I don't want this to happen again.
A) what should I do to prep the surface to prevent this from happening again?
B) I've never experienced this in any place where I've painted even though I'm cheap and have always used Valspar or another discount brand, is this a known problem with Benjamin Moore's lower end paints?

WinstonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Paint rubs off.

It doesn’t matter what brand paint you buy, flat paint is not washable.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Paint rubs off.

I've lived in places with flat paint before. Yes, you can scrub just about any flat paint off, but I'm talking about wiping with a damp cloth. That's unusually bad IMO
WinstonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

Paint rubs off.

If it is washing off that easily, it was not prepped right to begin with, maybe latex over oil?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

Paint rubs off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
It doesn’t matter what brand paint you buy, flat paint is not washable.

not true
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint rubs off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

not true
Benjamin Moore's Aura flat actually seems to be more washable than the higher gloss finishes from what some clients have said.

I have never used the bottom of the barrel Benjamin Moore third world contractor grade paints and have never seen anybody purchase them so I cannot answer your question of whether they are problematical. I used their Ultra Spec contractor grade a lot and never had complaints. Most clients, unless preparing a home for sale, realized I was the major expense I wanted the higher end paints. The one exception were my gallery clients that painted between exhibitions. Ultra Spec was fine for them.

As suggested, It sounds like the prep is the culprit and not the paint. Or the paint is only one coat and not the recommended two coats thick. If the surface underneath was oil or even latex/acrylic semi-gloss and not prepared or primed to provide adhesion for the finish coat, nothing could stick to it.

To answer your question as to how to keep it from happening again? If you can, I would take the failing layer of paint off and fix the adhesion problem under it. If not, I would remove all loose and peeling spots. Skip coat if you need too, prime with a bonding primer and apply two nice finish coats. Hope for the best. Unfortunately, you cannot fix adhesion of layers underneath paint from the top surface. The person who invents such a product could make a fortune. I saw the problem a lot and often following up on obvious DIY paint jobs.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,146

Paint rubs off.

I've had this sort of thing happen when applying any type of paint OVER a cheap builders flat. You may have to investigate to see what was used originally.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 260

Paint rubs off.

Washable flat correspond to the premium lines, which have better durability than contractor products. The proper cleaning for these finishes is a cellulose sponge and water, after 30 days of curing. No abrasives.

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote