DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Paint removal on steel door

867 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  housepaintingny 
#1 ·
The door is on a community hall and has been repainted several times. The job seems to last a few years then starts peeling. I think that whoever did the re-paint job just didn't clean the door properly. What is the best method to strip the old paint and re finish. These are heavy duty double doors and probably should not be taken off due to their weight. Is heat good, or chemicle strippers, both?? And recommended treatment for the soon-to-be bare galvanized metal? As to paint, an auto repair shop said they could do it but it would be costly. Is there a recommended exterior paint for this application?

#6 ·
If the paint is having an issue adhering then yes you may want to strip and start over. The peel away line of paint strippers work well. Make sure to clean the doors well after paint removal, you need to remove any contaminants from the surface and any oils that may be on the surface. I would prime with sherwin williams procryl universal primer and paint with sherwin williams dtm.

#4 ·
If it's peeling clear down to the metal and your sure it's galvanized it sounds like they didn't properly neutralize the metal. But if this was the case I don't think it would have lasted years before the problem showed up.The best way would probably be strip, prime, and a good DTM(direct to metal) paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.